www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 PM

Question New Rifle?

well guys i am thinking about buying a new rifle i am only 17 yrs old but i just got into calling yotes last yr when i got a foxpro wildfire for xmas and loved it i just got a $1000 paycheck from roofing over the summer, i was thinking about getting a TC venture in .204 but i really think itd be awesome to make the extra step to a semi auto! i need something under 1200-1400 dollars for sure and may be looking into getting a used rifle. i like what i see from the remington r-15 predator in .204 but what do u guys think? what other rifles are good for yote hunting in illinois out there? probably wont be shooting over 300 yards. any suggestions on caliber or rifle or bullet size and brand? any information that u can give me on all this rifle stuff would help because before the last few months i knew nothing about rifles i was more of a shotgun (bird hunter) guy. Sooo the longer post the better, thanks a lot!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 PM

if u could also include whether or not upgrading to an ar-15 would be smart or not that would be awesome! just need any advice on buying a rifle and what kind of things to use with it like bullet,scope,etc. in a place like illinois hunting open oak timber, pastures, or harvested fields
Old 08-31-2013, 12:13 AM

I have a stag arms model 6 that is a tack driver in 5.56. However I also have a TC venture predator in 204 ruger. Ever since I bought the venture predator I haven't even taken my AR out of the safe. The venture predator is sweeeeeet. Light and an awesome shooting rifle. Just my opinions.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:10 AM

First make sure using a semi is legal in your area. Also, will you be planning to hunt anywhere else? may not be legal there either.

I love my AR's. But never bought one straight off the shelf......I roll my own. Its super easy to do. Pick the parts you want and build instead of buying one and stripping stuff off to upgrade. More affordable also since you can go at your own pace.

Parts are starting to become more accessible lately. Try Brownells and Midway USA to get an idea of what is needed....AR platforms are like Lego sets....
Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM

I'm not much of an AR fan for hunting animals. Much prefer the bolt action rifles, so I guess my age shows a bit. We used to call them spray and pray rifles. Besides, they just feel uncomfortable to me.
As for bolt action/calibers, I'm a huge fan of the 17 calibers and the 20 calibers running a close second.
Are you saving fur? Will be strictly Coyotes with an occasional Fox/Bobcat? Or will there be many Fox/Bobcats and the occasional Coyote?
A 204 will work real well for Coyotes, but can be a bit hard on Fox/Bobcats. The 17 Rem., 17 Fireball, and 17HH would be pretty easy on Fox/Bobcats and works real well on Coyotes if you handload. And if you handload, then a 17-204 should be considered.
CZ, T/C, and Tikka would be great rifle choices. Or, if you have $1200 - $1400 to spend then a Kimber Montana in 204 is a choice you won't regret.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:53 PM

i will be hunting mainly for coyotes with the occasional red fox and yes AR's are legal here and i wont be traveling with it much. Also i would like to conserve the furs the best i can although it isnt a huge deal to me. It sounds like we have more votes for the bolt action but i will keep looking and waiting for more advice. Also i am left handed and not very many rifles come in left handed models so thats another reason i was looking at an AR although ive been told that the point is to make the first shot count which is probably right but does anyone have any experience with themselves or their friends shooting a right-handed bolt action as a lefty? i think it is something i could get used to but just wondering. Thanks for all the replies already, keep them coming!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:55 PM

K22 i agree the feeling of an AR is kind of odd they feel like you are pointing a baseball bat, i wish they made more hunting style rifles in semi-auto, like the mini 14
Old 08-31-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotehunter13 View Post
K22 i agree the feeling of an AR is kind of odd they feel like you are pointing a baseball bat, i wish they made more hunting style rifles in semi-auto, like the mini 14
If you want that style then check out the semi's from Remington and Browning...or even a M1A......but your caliber selection with those will be more "big Game" type. The Ruger Mini14 can be tuned for hunting accuracy, but get pricey.

As for left handed many manufacturers are making left handed bolt guns.....try Savage....
Old 08-31-2013, 07:43 PM

I'm on a broke college student budget and just bought a Remington 700 ADLV for $450 at cabellas it's a 22-250. It groups well with factory ammo just under a half inch at 100 and 200 yards. I have grouped with my hand loads at a hundred yards .405" group is my best but I haven't found the perfect blend yet either I am expecting for it to get even better. Good luck let us know what you do!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:37 PM

Go with a bolt action Son---you can always get a AR later on---learn to hunt and shoot your bolt you'll probably forget about a AR---204 -17 rem great fur guns----223 also something to look at for a first rifle, rounds are cheaper and you can shoot more for less --practice makes perfect--one shot one kill--------sb