www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM

By the way,

I am down to 15 rounds of Hornady 17 hornet 20gr V-Max.

Do you guys know of a source of this ammo?
All of my regular places do not have any in stock.
Since it looks like I will probably keep her.......I would like to buy at least 50-100 rounds.

Thanks
JT

Last edited by JTank70; 05-27-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:07 PM

JTank70 that is GREAT to hear your 17 Hornet is now running as it should. I'm going to have one more range session before I make a decision on my Hornets fate. I have been working the bolt and dry firing looking for wear on the bolt and/or receiver. There is some developing on the upper bolt handle where it meets the receiver. Not enough to cause alarm. The lift/rotation stiffness I am positive is from the spring tension after the trigger is released.

It does appear to be smoothing up a little bit from all the cycling. However I still think the extractor spring is still too stiff causing the claw not to fully engage and extract. Makes me wonder about the Savage QA line......

As for the ammo I am well stocked for now, about 350 rounds. Hoping not to waste any on range frustration and have some for Ghog busting and I was really hoping to have the 17 as my night hunting rig this fox season...

Really wish Savage would say what the bugs were with the early production rifles....can't be a huge safety concern or there would have been a recall by now.

The Ruger has great reviews but it cost the same as my mortgage payment...and is no different than the other 77/17 or 77/22 models...
Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 PM

Well it sounds like they did a pretty good job on your rifle. Looks like they might've figured out how to correct the shortcomings. Hopefully it'll continue to work well for you guys.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM

All this talk about all this trouble with their guns make me think I had better get out and shoot mine some more. I didn't notice anything with it last fall when I got it, but I really didn't shoot it that much either. I hope mine doesn't have the feeding issue that all of you are having. I did notice that some of the cases seemed scratched when the were ejected. Them seem to be very small. Are all of you shooting synthetic stocks? Mine is wood and I am not sure if it is both or just the synthetic ones. I was looking for a Ruger also, but couldn't justify the price difference between them. Another thought is that maybe some of the pressures is high in factory ammo. I think that will cause cases to stick a little. Not sure just a thought. It seems there is an awful lot of power coming out of such a tiny case.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:24 PM

adm1977.... my 25 is a synthetic "Walking Varminter". I purchased it last October
it was having feed/ejection issues at a rate of 1-2 rounds per 4 round magazine.
It was not just a once or twice per box of ammo thing.
My cases were scratched and dented near the neck. if you have a box or more through yours and you have not had any issues you will probably be ok.

Looking back, I had a few issues with my 25 that are all either gone or much better since sending it in to Savage.

Here are all of the symptoms mine had.

Magazine required much force to insert (not any more)

Rounds would hang up trying to feed and I had to work the bolt back and forth a time or two to get the round to load. 1-2 per magazine(not any more)

Safety was stiff and required quite a push to disengage (not anymore)

Ejection issues, a few rounds were not pulled from the chamber at all.
Most would pull out but would then just be laid on top of the magazine. 1-2 per magazine (not anymore)

My bolt was very very stiff and hard to work from day one and cycling it did not seem to help it at all.
(not stiff any more....it works very nice now even after firing a live round).

Cases (all of them) were scratched and dinged in a consistant and repeatable manner. (not any more)

I had one round just before sending it back (factory Hornady 20gr V-max) Blow a primer.
It was loud and there was alot of smoke.
When I opened the bolt the primer dropped into the little shelf area below the chamber.
The extractor was sticking way out at an angle from the bolt. I touched it and it went "ping".
I turned the rifle sideways and shook it. The extractor pieces fell onto the bench along with the primer.
The casing came out easily with forceps.
Savage tech said it was probably the ammo.
Hornady tech said that it was probably Savage. Their barrels were possibly tighter toleranced than they need to be causing an over pressure.
??? it has not happened again so who knows.

Trigger pull has always been awesome and accuracy phenominal.

It seems to be fixed now after a trip back home to Savage. (knock on wood).
Now I have only put a box through it since it's return but It seems that with the number of issues I had something would have shown up if it was going to.
And I am glad because for some reason I really like this rifle and wanted to keep liking it.

Well, If you see any ammo around let me know. I need some for sure.

JT
Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 PM

Mine is synthetic also, as you can see from the pic from this weekends Ghog hunt. I have many of the same issues......I have a feeling I will be sending it back to Savage.....and/or owning the Ruger.

Really in all fairness Savage needs to address the issue instead of waiting for the consumer to come to them one at a time. Obviously there was a run of poor production that the Quality Control types let pass on by.....

I am still waiting for an answer from them concerning mine....
Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 PM

I agree XNAVYORDIE
I was mainly concerned with the Feed and ejection issues I was having.

But As I made that list above today, It sank in that this gun had way too many issues to have been passed thru any competent QC dept with a green light to go to market.

I am happy that the gun seems well now and I think savage did well taking care of me.
But, part of me is a bit ticked that I shelled out hard earned greenbacks for a gun that had so many issues out of the box.
Another part of me will be skidish for a while while shooting it. Waiting for any more signs of trouble. And that is kind of sad.

Good luck getting yours sorted out. I hope it works out for you because if your hornet is aything like mine it is dead nuts accurate.

JT
Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 PM

The accuracy is there....no complaints about that....just the reliability.

Not trying to bash Savage either...I had a incredibly accurate 110 223 heavy barrel that was scary accurate and ate everything I fed it. Would love to have it back...

...but I think they dropped the ball trying to meet the demand too fast on introducing the 17 Hornet.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 PM

Yeah same here. I still own a savage 110 in 243. I've put a lot of rounds thru that rifle and never had so much as a hiccup. I really don't understand why they had to put the "tube" thing in the chamber of the model 25s. It seems to me like the edges were sharp and may have been causing some of the feeding and scratching issues.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:30 PM

I agree about that sleeve/tube or whatever it is....really no feed ramp or guide just that thing. I have my firends M25 204 Ruger in my safe and it has the typical chamber. I don't think it has anything to do with the Hornets case rim but its possible.