www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:38 PM

This gun is only two years old and has only been shot around 50 times.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 PM

I was just looking at a 700 tonight at Dicks.But after reading this I'm going to look at some other guns. Good luck with your gun and stay safe.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 PM

I took the gun to my local gun smith and he said the firing pin isnt resetting all the time. Meaning that the firing pin is out and just closing the bolt the gun could go off. He said that just lifting the bolt the firing pin should reset and this one does'nt do it all the time. He said just trying it tonight a bunch of times,the pin did'nt reset 8 times. He is emailing remington tonight.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 PM

there was a huge special on this happening on cnbc and a man and wife hunting with there 8yr old son the wifes went off and killed young boy very said long story short the trigger has a problem with it i would not load this gun agian id call them and get fixed asap. find that special and watch its a good documentary
Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 PM

Very well documented some discharge with the safety on. Remington has known about this for decades. But hunter safety always point it in a safe direction is how they steer clear of liability. All manufactures have problems but remington is about five times more than others.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterBlaster View Post
Sounds like the sear engagement is needs to increased. Then set the trigger at 3lbs.
MB
Has absolutely nothing to do with this problem. I have an older 700 that has done this same thing.

60 minutes did a story on this problem. Seems there are several million 700's out there that either have done this or have the capability to do this. Its the old Remington triggers.

Remington will fix it for you. All you have to do is ship it to them ( at least they were just a few months ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post
I was just looking at a 700 tonight at Dicks.But after reading this I'm going to look at some other guns. Good luck with your gun and stay safe.
They have replaced the triggers in their newer guns. No longer an issue.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 AM

I Love the Rem 700 I have a 223 and 308 had no problem with them But I will keep watch, I spent 20 Yrs in the Army for alot of my time in there I carried the Rem 700, never had a promlem in all kind of weather Conditions, even in South America, the Weather was nasty there.... But I guess thats why I Love the Rem 700 It Never gave me any problems...
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 AM

I would be willing to bet that neither of the 700's mentioned above, the 30-06 and the 22-250, had never been out of their respective stocks and properly cleaned.

I have read that everyone of those guns examined by the experts, that had the above mentioned problems were either tampered with or improperly maintained.

Folks the trigger is a machine and needs periodic cleaning and oiling. You don't take care of them they don't function as designed. Mess with them and they don't function as they were designed. Why are we so quick to blame the gun and not the owner? Ooh Ooh I am gonna sue. That is the reason.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 AM

I'm not much of a fan of Remingtons triggers. Their model 600 triggers were a problem for them and the 700/mdl7 triggers aren't much better. If you want a lighter trigger pull, buy a Shilen, Rifle Basix, Timney, Jewel, or any of the other after market drop in triggers.
I've personally never had a problem with Remington triggers being unsafe from the factory. It's when you try lightening the pull that trouble begins. If you want 2#'s or less on a Rem. factory trigger, you need to change some parts and do a lot of honing, turning screws won't consistently get you there.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 PM

My Remington 700 is less than 2 years old. Just after buying it I went to an indoor gun range to sight in the scope and after about 20 shots it fired when I closed the bolt. No finger on the trigger, just closed the bolt..... period. Mine is a .223 also.

Called Remington and they sent box and UPS label, sent gun to Ilion NY (something like that) and they had it for about 3 weeks.

Said they could not replicate the problem but they replaced the bolt and trigger assembly.

Knock wood I have not had any more issues with it to date.

Don't mess around with an accident waiting to happen, call Remington NOW.
Closed Thread