www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Just looking at the energy numbers the advantage goes to the .22 mag at less than about 125-150 yards with the .17HMR gaining ground at ranges beyond that. Couple that with a heavier, larger diameter bullet and I'd have to say the .22mag is a better hunting round especially as you move up to larger animals and/or get more wind.

But, my goto for small game is the .17HMR. I just love that little bottle shaped cartridge and the 17 grain polymer tipped bullets. I have never had a animal take a step or quiver after hitting them with the .17 and have never had an exit wound but I have never shot anything larger than a groundhog.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 PM

To be honest I have yet to connect with the 22 mag I have used a 223 and a 22 250 a lot over the years but this gun came into the fold a few years back and has played 2 nd fiddle to others and with the grandson wanting to use it I hope to have some experience to share here
Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 PM

The 22 mag will put down coyotes under 150 yards with ease. It is poison on foxes and bobcats. Shoot the CCI 40 grain jacketed hollow points or the Win 40 grain jacketed hollow points in the silver box. And you dont have to shoot them in the head, right behind the sholder and its dead. Its been doing the job for years and will continue too.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB View Post
Mr. 204 Do you have any idea what kind of shells they were using in the UP. & Montana??
CSB
CSB First let me explain that for years (not sure about now) the southern portion of Michigan below M-57 was shotgun and rimfire only for deer. When I hunted below that highway I used 40 gr winchester solids. Here in Mt. on the res CCI 40 grain solids. I would how ever use HP ammo on yotes.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:39 AM

This has been a Great Thread for information on these two smaller calibers the past couple of days. Thanks Guys
CSB
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
This has been a Great Thread for information on these two smaller calibers the past couple of days. Thanks Guys
CSB
Your right lots of great info coming in this is one of my most under used guns.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:04 PM

Well I have a Marlin Model 25 MN and I have no complaints at all with this rifle. It will shoot 3/4" Groups @ 100 yds. all day long. I was looking around and I don't think they even make this rifle anymore??
CSB
Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Well I have a Marlin Model 25 MN and I have no complaints at all with this rifle. It will shoot 3/4" Groups @ 100 yds. all day long. I was looking around and I don't think they even make this rifle anymore??
CSB
You maybe right I dont think that one is still being made one of my best hunting buddys while I was in the service hunted with the same rifle it was a joy to shoot
Old 02-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Back in the day, before the Internet , there were a lot of Coyotes/Fox/ and Bobcats killed with the 22mag. I did my share of it in the 60's. The bullet of choice, which was about the only choice, was the Win. Super X 40gr.hp. Shoot them in the chest, or behind the shoulder and DRT with a perfect mushroomed bullet if the bullet was recovered.
I still use mine from time to time with the same Win. round. They used to be White boxes, but now they are Silver and it still performs just like it used to.
Now that the Internet is here, it is no longer capable of doing what it used to do...........so they say.
My observation is that 3 things have happened. 1. Some folks just can't shoot worth a d*@mn and they won't practice. 2. Because of #1 a lot of folks take shoulder shots on all game, sort of like they were hunting dangerous game in Africa. To me, a shoulder shot destroys a lot of good meat on edible game and destroys fur on pelted game. 3. Plastic bullets are now all the rage. Well, plastic tipped anyway, but to me my first observation is correct. In small calibers especially, plastic bullets were made for "red mistying" Prairie Dogs and other Varmints. They were not made as a fur friendly bullet and generally have a terrible reputation of blowing up on the surface. The remedy? go to a bigger caliber, least wise that is what is recommended on the internet when someone asks what is a good fur caliber. Now if someone likes blowing exit holes through Coyotes because they really don't sell the fur, then that is fine by me, but don't try and convince me and many other thousands of 17/20 caliber and/or 22mag. users that our caliber of choice isn't big enough. That is just simple BS. I've been shooting a 17 Rem. at Coyotes since 1971. Not very many have gotten back up and walked away. Neither when I use a 22mag.
The 22mag. is big enough to use, unless of course you think you are some kind of Rambo "White Feather" sniper dude who can't get them called in much closer than 400yds. Then I would tell you that you better look at a different caliber and you might also want do more calling. To me it is very frustrating reading some of the advice I see on the Internet. For instance, is a 22-250 big enough for Coyotes at xyz yds. and how fur friendly is it? Answer, oh yes, great Coyote caliber out to xyz yds. If you use the right load and do your part it is very fur friendly. WHAT!!! I have never seen that yet in my 60yrs. There is ONE bullet that the hard core fur hunters who like using a 22-250 or other 22 calibers use. It is a very consistent small exit hole bullet and even sometimes when the planets align right it doesn't exit. As far as those experienced fur hunters are concerned, there is NO other 22 caliber bullet that is as consistent.
So, a 22mag. using Win. Super X 40grhp is a good fur friendly bullet. A 17 Rem. or FB and a 204 (and other 20 calibers) are good fur friendly calibers using match grade hp. bullets. CONSISTENTLY.

I'm done.

K22

Last edited by K22; 02-05-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:27 PM

We'll K22 that was a great read and very thought provoking and your spot on the lack of shooting skills is the number one cause of cartridge bad mouthing and the skills are honed on 22 rimfires both the lr and mag thanks for the insight.