www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 PM

Let us know what you think of your Stag 6.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:32 PM

Oh I will, but the dang thing is back ordered. I guess I don't need an AR for shooting turkeys though. I got a very nice [if that is possible]used Stevens 200 in 22-250 coming in tomorrow, I hope I can get to the range before dark and see what she does! Dont hafta worry about gettin a little grit on that jewel. I am guessing it will shoot good but I here the triggers are a bit heavy. I will keep you posted as things seem to be slowing down here.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 AM

what groups should one expect??

interesting question. I have seen folks with rifles that would shoot small groups at 100 yards, yet, they keep them in a 4" group and complain.
there is many methods to getting small groups. granted there are firearms out there that will not print a decent group by any one.
I like all my firearms in the rifle area to print well under .5, I have a hard time with some of the very large calibers, they can go above that. But, if they group well and are consistent and stay in the .7 that will be fine.

My M-16 I was issued in basic training shot less then a 1" group during trainging with Ball ammo...
Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 PM

What would you say is enough scope power to consistently shoot .5 " groups. I am putting a 4-12x40 vxi on the new Stag. I had a 3-9 on the Bushmaster and I have awful good eye sight [probably should of never said that] but it seems to be fairly tough to really be absolutely exactly perfectly dead on @ 9 power.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varminter .223 View Post
What would you say is enough scope power to consistently shoot .5 " groups. I am putting a 4-12x40 vxi on the new Stag. I had a 3-9 on the Bushmaster and I have awful good eye sight [probably should of never said that] but it seems to be fairly tough to really be absolutely exactly perfectly dead on @ 9 power.
i think scope makes a huge differance.i agrued this with a guy who put a 70.00 mcstar on his 1000.00 r-15,said he could see the bullseye at 100,and wonderd why he couldnt hit anything,but then again hes happy hitting a 55gl drum at 100yds,lol
Old 04-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeano View Post
i think scope makes a huge differance.i agrued this with a guy who put a 70.00 mcstar on his 1000.00 r-15,said he could see the bullseye at 100,and wonderd why he couldnt hit anything,but then again hes happy hitting a 55gl drum at 100yds,lol
+1 on that.

I also would mention that cheap mounting rings let the scope "float" all over. I attribute many inconsistent shots on an improperly mounted and/or low quality scope and rings. Very few of us are made of money and so cost is important. That being said, I feel that a quality scope and mount will cost just about as much as the rifle it sits on. There are good scopes for the buck but there are also some "junk" ones. Just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM

It takes an excellent rifle to consistently shoot .5 inch groups at 100 yards. There are far, far more rifles that won't do it than will, at least at the range and not on the internet. A lot folks shoot one 1/2" group then call their rifle a 1/2" rifle, but that doesn't make it consistent.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 PM

Best i can get so far with my R-15 is 1in,found a few loads that will do the 1in
still working on getting it less.

Now my internet rife will do,1hole groups.lol
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyj98 View Post
It takes an excellent rifle to consistently shoot .5 inch groups at 100 yards. There are far, far more rifles that won't do it than will, at least at the range and not on the internet. A lot folks shoot one 1/2" group then call their rifle a 1/2" rifle, but that doesn't make it consistent.
no offence..But you do not have a clue about firearms an accuracy.

most folks can not shoot a .5 with any rifle given them. when in fact the rifle can shoot in the .4s and even .3s.. bench tec. is part of the solution in accuracy when zeroing a rifle. along with things I think you might not understand.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Ouch, well, it comes down to your shooting ability and if you've done your homework as far as load work-up. What kind of group should you expect? Can you hit what you're trying to kill? If you're shooting a 1" group, will that kill a coyote? Most rifle manufacturers now-a-days, brag about their 1 MOA guaranteed gun. I find that most guys that go to the range and shoot off the bench all day, can do just that. But shooting off a bench and shooting at that running coyote are two different things. If you can consistently hit your target, say a 3" circle (kill zone on most coyotes), out to how ever far you're comfortable, then thats good enough for me. Know your limitations and shoot accordingly. You'll still kill that coyote even if you missed that exact spot by over an inch. As for the original post, you had the rifle sent back and worked on, therefore you will have to start all over with the load-work-up. Take that AR out and kill some coyotes, practice shooting any way and anywhere you can, get comfy with the gun, and re-do the load work and you'll have a shooter soon enough.

Last edited by Coyote Inc.; 04-26-2011 at 06:25 PM.