www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:46 PM

Default 17 Hornet alive????

Ok all....

As some of the veterans here know I have used a 17 Hornet since it's get go and had rifle malfunctions (FTE/FTF) endlessly until I sent back to factory, then still had the same issues but not as consistent. I, and another very respected member here tried all sorts of reloads.....too explosive (on fox), or just didn't feed well....I continued to use the 17HH and deal with the intermittent issues......lots of kills, but lots of failures on follow up.....and many that needed that follow up.

However...my main issue was operational, with my rifle (Savage M25). Yes it was worked over by Savage again....but I don't care much for poly tip bullets...the HPs didn't function well and I never found the magic OAL for either...

So.....myself and others that lived this with the 17HH watched it sort of fall of the radar......I will admit I was a naysayer of sorts...

NOW.....there are new loads from Hornady....a custom 25 gr HP, and loads from American Eagle and Winchester.....the 17HH has been given another chance!

So....who has tried the new Hornady Custom? or the American Eagle? (toted as Varmint and Predator)....Winchester has not hit shelves yet....

Can't wait!!!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:31 PM

I saw these loads listed on the internet also. I am curious about they they will perform. I stocked up on ammo and will have to do a lot of shooting to justify buying any more ammo. I guess I will wait and see how they do for other hunters before I purchase some.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:19 PM

Giving up on it. I don't care for the performance loss in the cold weather I experienced with mine. Thinking I need to look at another option.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:40 AM

I only encountered one incident where the severe cold weather made a difference, or at least I think it did. Archer and I were out all night on probably the coldest night we were ever out. Every thing was frozen solid and ice crunchy snow every where. Didn't see eyes until last stand. We were out all night. Red came in to about 80 yards, a chip shot.....but a clean miss. Round didn't sound right....

The 17 Hornet is pretty destructive at times on fox. I'm still skeptical about it for Coyotes....but it sure is a laser.....; )
Old 08-22-2016, 10:17 AM

i think fireball or the rem may be the route I go. I really liked that 19 calhoun may take a look at putting together a 19 badger see how that goes.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 AM

with the hornet it was great for me on groundhogs and through dec on milder temps. I had multiple shots in the really cold temps that should have been chip shots where the shot sounded muffled and they were complete misses. After talking to a few guys I know at hornady they concluded that it was coming from the empty space in the case. Hunted colder nights with my 204 and 223 and never had those issues.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:17 PM

Could be I don't know.....it's been 99% effective for me terminally but about 60% operationally. Mostly rifle issue I think but maybe there is that magic OAL...

I know Hornady stated there were issues with the early production runs.

I love how my 17HH handles and its accuracy....but wish it was more operationally consistent.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:29 PM

cz fixes that problem had 0 operational issues with my 527 varmint
Old 08-22-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
i think fireball or the rem may be the route I go. I really liked that 19 calhoun may take a look at putting together a 19 badger see how that goes.
I have read up on those. When I ordered my press stand from Woodchuck Den I spoke with Todd Kindler for a bit. I asked his opinion about the "perfect" round for fox and coyote that wouldn't blow up the fox and still anchor a yote.....he talked about several different rounds and I ordered a couple loading manuals from him. Very interesting reading. I never did try his 30gr Gold bullets in the 17HH.....I really think I just need to find the magic OAL and the feed issues will be solved.....I just haven't had the time to play with it.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:08 PM

really would love to get the 204 figured out everything is perfect except for the big holes they sometimes make.