www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:00 AM

Default Ruger American Predator

Anyone on here have experience with the Ruger American Predator model rifle?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:12 AM

The American can be a very accurate rifle with the right load and after being broken in properly. IMO its a great gun for the money. Put good optics on it, break it in right, find the right load, and you have a tack driver. Ruger is a quality firearm.

I personally am a savage guy. But have high opinions of the Ruger.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:54 AM

I just bought one in 223 this past weekend, but have yet to shoot it yet. I do however wish I had read the reviews on the predator model before I bought it instead of after... I will let you know how mine does later in the week.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the responses. As for the reviews it seems alot of mixed feelings on it. Some bad and some good.

I looked at one this morning and like just about everything about it. The only thing a didn't like was the safety blade on the trigger. I also like the safety location and function due to a slight handicap with my right thumb. My next chose would be a Browning but twist rate is too slow than what is recommended for heavier bullets.

Need to mull this one over for a while.

Thanks again,
Old 12-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BU View Post
Thanks for the responses. As for the reviews it seems alot of mixed feelings on it. Some bad and some good.

I looked at one this morning and like just about everything about it. The only thing a didn't like was the safety blade on the trigger. I also like the safety location and function due to a slight handicap with my right thumb. My next chose would be a Browning but twist rate is too slow than what is recommended for heavier bullets.

Need to mull this one over for a while.

Thanks again,
You might consider the Savage Model 10 or Model 11. Either are great guns and the accutrigger is great. My Model 10 in .223 has a 1/10 twist and loves the heavier pills.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcat View Post
You might consider the Savage Model 10 or Model 11. Either are great guns and the accutrigger is great. My Model 10 in .223 has a 1/10 twist and loves the heavier pills.
Savage is what I originally was looking at till I got to handle one. The safety is a pain for me to operate with my thumb. It was tore off when I was five on my grandpa's farm. Reattached and never grew after that and one of the joints healed solid. Yah, I'm a circus freak.

I would prefer a gun with a trigger finger operated safety like Remington or Browning auto loaders. But then your looking at the least a 243 which would be okay but little more than I'm currently looking to spend. My current coyote gun is a 30-06 BAR with 110 gr hand loads. Which still does alot of damage pelt wise. So looking to tame it down a little and 223 seems the best chose for ammo availability and what I'm going to do with it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:46 PM

The Ruger American is a nice rifle for the money and should perform from people that I have talked to and reviews read. You have to keep in mind that you can't pleae everyone. Give someone $1 million and they will complain about being in a different tax bracket.... As for the safety blade on the trigger, you won't notice it when shooting, same as a Savage or a Marlin XL7. I am a lefty and use nothing but right handed rifles and shotguns. On a shotgun, I have to let go of my shooting grip and reach under the trigger guard to take the safety off(it's designed for a right trigger finger). I won't say it is 100% the same amount of movement, but reaching up and using your index finger on the safety shouldn't prove to be to hard. A little practice and you should have I it down pat. As for movement, if a turkey doesn't spot it, a coyote shouldn't either.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:55 PM

Have you looked at Winchester Model 70? It has a wing type safety. Or the Mossberg MVP?

I understand your conundrum. When I'm in buying mode I get pretty picky too.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 AM

I finally got the chance yesterday to shoot my Predator model in 223. As stated above, people have to keep in mind that it is a $350 rifle. With that being said, at 50 yards mine will shoot the eyes out of anything!! At 100, well that changes… I only got shot 2 different types of 55 grain, so I am not done testing loads for it and I think it will do better with heavier loads because of the rate of twist, plus breaking in the barrel. If I was smart enough I would post pictures of the targets, but I’m not.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:55 AM

If the gun is new don't worry about the accuracy just yet. either take it to a gun smith and have the barrel honed and polished, or spend some time running some rounds through it and cleaning after every 3-5 rounds. You will see the groups tighten up once the barrel gets broke in. I usually buy the cheapest ammo I can find and run about 40-50 rounds through a new gun before I even try to sight it in much. It's a pain but necessary. Once you get the barrel broke in then your ready to play with some loads and dial it in tight.

What is the rate of twist in the barrel?