www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:20 PM

Default Question about bobcat's hearing

Hey guys I am new to Predator hunting and I just called in my first bobcat yesterday, or shall I say I saw my first bobcat but not sure if I actually called him in because he walked down the ridge about 100 yards away but never broke stride and quickly disappeared in the the valley floor below me. He never reacted to my rabbit distress call and he never locked in on my decoy, he just seemed like he had somewhere else to be and could care less about eating. With that said, I am curious what your thoughts are on calling volume. There are good acoustics where I hunt so I have been fluctuating between call volumes in the 15 to 30 range on my Shockwave but generally never go up to full volume. I assume bobcats have much better hearing than I do so is it safe to assume that if I can clearly hear my call from 50 yards away then bobcats can hear it much further? I have admittedly started to question my calling tactics after my first cat yesterday seemed very uninterested in my call. Any advice is welcome. Thanks
Old 03-06-2021, 10:26 PM

Welcome to the Foxpro Forums. Hopefully someone that really knows the answer will respond. I "think" bobcats can hear much better than humans, but they don't seem to travel long distances to respond to a caller. Here in the west I have seen them come in from several hundred yards, but that was very rare and in all cases at night. Most of the time they just seem to appear out of thin air at 100 yards or less.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:38 PM

good to know. thank you
Old 03-08-2021, 11:52 AM

I have nothing to back it up, but do remember seeing or reading from several places that cats do not care as much about the level of sound. They definitely have very good hearing but in comparison I believe there is less concern about blowing a cat out vs a coyote.

Cats seem to be more active on movement...but you mentioned having decoy which did not get attention, at least you thought. If targeting a bobcat most will say sit for a full hour as they may approach and hold out in spot you might not see. That cat you saw may have adjusted and watched longer than you thought, or maybe he was a fat cat who just ate and had other places to be. I call in area that is dense with population and know at times they are w in ear shot but for whatever reason not the right day/time, etc

First cat I called ran straight to my call and put it's face right up to it, had no care about the mojo decoy 10 ft away. 4th cat I called came running through snow and put brakes on right on my decoy.

If he just slowly moved out of sight I would say just wasn't the day. I also believe cats do not get as educated as yotes when you have a call set. That cat should work that area and will just be a matter of hitting him on right conditions. Bird sounds get mentioned a lot. After you saw him you could have changed calls to "coax" him in, woodpecker, blue jay, vole, mouse may have triggered something?

MN closes in Jan so we don't really hit breeding season, there are a few options out there for Bobcat sounds but I have never had success or heard anyone who has with them.

Keep at em and it will happen....my last piece of advice which again is something I can't point you to but after doing a lot of research on them. South wind is ideal for cat movement, usually north wind drives hunting but for bobcat I have seen S wind being better. If you have a gloomy day the hours just after sunrise seem to have em active and I personally have taken all my cats about 8-9am

post back on how you do in future!
Old 03-08-2021, 05:35 PM

good info. thank you!
Old 03-08-2021, 09:15 PM

Congrats on calling in your first cat. I think it is very likely that when you saw that cat, he was very aware of your calling. He could have been hurrying to get to a spot where he wanted to have an advantage. I have seen multiple times when I am calling in a cat, where they will hurry to a spot that only they know and then either sit there or start to stalk your call. I would guess that the cat you called in definitely heard your call. They can hurry to a spot and disappear never to be seen again if they sit on you and don't commit fully to the decoy or call. I have a question for you. How long did you continue to call after your saw him go down the ridge?
Old 03-09-2021, 09:02 PM

i called for 30 more minutes, switching up calls every 5-10 min then it got dark.