www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:50 AM

Default has anyone seen or heard of this?

i have heard of decoy dogs and have a basic understanding of it. and grew up with hound hunters but never heard of hunting dogs being trained like this.

came across a guy that had a pair of german pointers that had been breed for birds and fur hunting both. said they went with him when he was calling fox coyotes coons and bobcats and acted as a early warning for when something was coming and would catch any bad shots or missed shots and bring it to him. also he said his kid had a pair of german sheperds that did the same thing.

i just wanted to see if anyone had seen or heard of dogs trained like this or if maybe the old man was pulling my leg
Old 03-17-2021, 12:15 PM

If I read your story correctly...I have seen a video where I believe he did exactly what you are asking.

Set up for call with his golden lab, called in a 3 pack and his lab took off after em...they all left sight and shortly after the lab came running back with 1 yote behind, pulled into range and the guy took yote out. Immediately the lab turned back to bush and was gone only to return w another yote behind it and again pulled into range. Then one more time the dog took off to return with the 3rd yote chasing into range and the guy smoked a 3 pack. Explained it as the dog antagonizes or gets the yote to turn on dog and chase it out territory. Amazing what you can train dogs to do
Old 03-17-2021, 12:49 PM

that what they call decoy dogs. whice the only reasons i dont use them is they dont work real well during fur seson and only works on coyotes. the way this guy talked he knew when something was coming by the way they held their heads. and never left his side until after the shot to catch and bring it back to him
Old 03-17-2021, 03:37 PM

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying...not familiar with any of that stuff. Have not seen or heard of what you described but again, what/how you can train pointers to hold through flush, shot and only to signaled release would not surprise me
Old 03-17-2021, 07:07 PM

yeah i have heard some wild storys about those german breed dogs
Old 03-20-2021, 01:22 PM

I had and have hunted over a number of GSP's. They were bred to hunt feathers and fur, but I question if they will "retrieve" killed predators.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:29 PM

I would ask that man to take you along so you can see firsthand if he's pulling your leg. My brother-in-law had a friend that had a pair of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They were bred for hunting lions. He said he took them out to run down and kill coyotes. I knew where a pair were denning. We snuck up as close as possible and both the male and female were there. They bolted of course, but the dogs also bolted. Both went in different directions and they weren't after the coyotes. We spent the next several hours searching and recovering the dogs. The guys face was pretty red.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:37 PM

Have heard of decoy dogs but with the chance of mange not sure I'd even want a dog getting near a mangy yote
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails
Browning A Bolt 30-06 tack driver
Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings
Old 03-28-2021, 07:32 PM

Watch FoxPro tv, if you can get it. It's on a Roku tv. Or try YouTube. Al Morris has some dog decoy shows.