www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
This one is a colt LE6920 / M4 that i purchased complete minus the Acog. It's got a 16" with a 1/7 twist. I have a bunch of colt's in different configurations. Most are roll marked, Restricted, Military / Law enforcement use only. LEO. guns. 3 came from a California tactical unit with short heavy barrels / pinned flash hiders & 1/12 twist. All are either 1/7 or 1/12 twist. no 1/9 I like the LEO rollmarked guns, They tend to be a little rarer & hold their value better than your basic stamped AR.

All do well with 55 gr. fmj. I know that's not a preferred round for yotes but i buy my ammo by the thousand's & only a few go towards critters.
Very nice collection. I have several myself but have never bought one complete. I snap all mine together form scratch...all mutts. I'm building another as a dedicated predator rig.....only thing I'm undecided on is the barrel.

As for the FMJ, if it's legal where you are and you don't have lost runners those pelts should be in good shape.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 PM

I suppose the ammo you shoot will dictate which barrel you choose, My AR is only used in close quarter situations. For serious hunting i like my 6MM with 100 gr. soft points. It realy smokes em ! I got this little piggy at 330 yards moving.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 PM

I admit, I prefer a bolt gun when accuracy is required. I know all the AR guys will tell me their platforms are just as accurate. I know, I know- I probably shot a few in my time. Give me one of my Kimber bolt guns.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2019, 09:16 PM

That's why we need to own so many guns Sonny, each one has its place. Now if we can only predict what each situation will bring.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
That's why we need to own so many guns Sonny, each one has its place. Now if we can only predict what each situation will bring.
Agreed camo.....but I also prefer my bolts......however, since it is now legal to hunt with an AR platform I am building a dedicated predator AR (ok it may pop a G'Hog or two) just because I can.....and have it in my collection......my youngest kid is a lucky one.....he will inherit a ton of toys.....except the one my oldest Daughter wants....; )
Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 PM

Happy for you Navy, I didn't know they had legalized semi automatic in PA. When did that happen?

Old 01-14-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
Happy for you Navy, I didn't know they had legalized semi automatic in PA. When did that happen?

This past year......and I do a ton of hunting in Maryland also where it's legal (MD? ...I know crazy right?). It's not my first choice but I was always very comfortable with that platform. First time I qualed on a M16 it was heaven.....felt so natural. Also was a very easy rifle to instruct others on...light and no recoil.....M14 not so much....although I LOVE my M1A... but it's too much for fox and yotes...; )

Now I hear rumor someone on this forum owns a 30 Cal Pig.....probably a Delta........if it were legal to hunt fox/yote with one could you imagine sweeping a running predator? Tracers assisting?.....3-5 round bursts may not apply....jus say'n...'

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-14-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 AM

Navy, M16, 30 - Pig , Now you're talkin my kind of hardware !! And i will tell you that when i contacted the Oklahoma department of wildlife conservation & asked if automatic weapons could be used to hunt wild hogs the response was ( quoat ) yes you can but i don't know why you would want to !!!

Imagine that, Why would you want to !!! I've got the bigger ACOG on the pig.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM

Default PIG on Pigs

Holy smokes!.......I can see you now.... mowing down a sounder of hogs and needing to do a hot barrel change....; )

Camo, were you a Squid?

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-14-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:44 AM

I will bring the gloves.....