www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:23 AM

Default Ruger no longer makes a .17 WSM

A friend just bought the savage .17 WSM B-mag, and I suggested he could have looked at the Ruger .17 WSM. He said he could not find it on their website. I investigated only to find the gun is no longer offered. Is this the future of this round? Should I be buying every box of .17 WSM I can find?

Thanks,
Spurlucky
Old 12-24-2016, 10:54 AM

They dropped the 77/22 and 77/17 series all together. I was shocked as well. That series was around for some time. All though fairly short lived in 17 Hornet and especially 17 WSM.

I would look for Ruger to come out with the American in 17 WSM soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath on them bringing back the 17 Hornet or 22 Hornet (which was very short lived in 77/22) any time soon.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:43 PM

Thanks XNAVYORDIE. I love the rifle, wife bought it for me for last Christmas under the instruction of my brother who pushed her towards the Ruger over Savage B-Mag. I feel kind of betrayed by them dropping the line.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurlucky View Post
Thanks XNAVYORDIE. I love the rifle, wife bought it for me for last Christmas under the instruction of my brother who pushed her towards the Ruger over Savage B-Mag. I feel kind of betrayed by them dropping the line.
I liked them as well......however they were pricey compared to Savage and CZ and because of that were most likely not the best return on investment/manufacture for Ruger.

I am preparing to order a Predator....would love the M77 Predator, but it's costly. Therefore I am ordering an American Predator for almost half the price.

Economy lines seem to be winning out lately in various markets, and manufacturers can profit more on the gross sales of those models over the more pricey models.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:01 AM

I just heard about this just a month ago myself, I was really wanting one of those 77/44's for deer hunting in lower Michigan (legal now).
It's bad news to hear for sure, to begin with there are only about five manufacturers making a rifle in .17Wsm at present. ( Savage, Volquartsen, Franklin Armory,Winchester, Jard ) and the last four I listed are off the map price wise, and to top it off even less making the ammunition in .17Wsm (Winchester & Federal)
I was lucky enough to find a Ruger this summer on sale at Davisons gallery of Guns on line for a little north of $600, now don't get me wrong I did put a Jard trigger in mine
because the trigger pull out of box was horrible (this is were Ruger was lacking IMO QC the details).
With that said I do like mine a lot, it shoots well and feels good in the hands and packs the punch of the .22 Hornet at a rimfire price.
I hope the ammunition continues to be available for it or I may wish I had never purchased it.
T/C Encore Pro Hunter Predator 22/250

Last edited by mark1958; 01-01-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
I just heard about this just a month ago myself, I was really wanting one of those 77/44's for deer hunting in lower Michigan (legal now).
It's bad news to hear for sure, to begin with there are only about five manufacturers making a rifle in .17Wsm at present. ( Savage, Volquartsen, Franklin Armory,Winchester, Jard ) and the last four I listed are off the map price wise, and to top it off even less making the ammunition in .17Wsm (Winchester & Federal)
I was lucky enough to find a Ruger this summer on sale at Davisons gallery of Guns on line for a little north of $600, now don't get me wrong I did put a Jard trigger in mine
because the trigger pull out of box was horrible (this is were Ruger was lacking IMO QC the details).
With that said I do like mine a lot, it shoots well and feels good in the hands and packs the punch of the .22 Hornet at a rimfire price.
I hope the ammunition continues to be available for it or I may wish I had never purchased it.
i have had 3 of the ruger 77/44 stainless and i thought the accuracy was poor on its best day// i believe this was due to the 1x20 twist / they didnt like any thing less than a 270 gn pill / my best was the 270 speer and the 300 sierra (when you can find it ) on the other hand the Marlin 1894 lever gun with its 1x38 twist seems to be accurate through the range of jacketed bullets and does really well with a tite fitting cast bullet. i have had 1 of the ruger 77/357 and the accuracy was excellant with cast and jacket bullets in 158 gn, the only problem with that rifle was feeding from the rotary mag with flat nose pills i am have the same problem with a ruger american in 300 blk out with every thing but pointed bullets// the ruger lever gun model 96/44 feels like it should be used to paddle a boat or club seals on the ice // i also have several of the ruger 77 in various calibers and i dont think there is a finer off the rack made hunting and general screwing around rifle //at present i have the 77/22 and 77/22 mag both excellant small game and pest shooting rifles
Old 01-01-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyguns View Post
i have had 3 of the ruger 77/44 stainless and i thought the accuracy was poor on its best day// i believe this was due to the 1x20 twist / they didnt like any thing less than a 270 gn pill / my best was the 270 speer and the 300 sierra (when you can find it ) on the other hand the Marlin 1894 lever gun with its 1x38 twist seems to be accurate through the range of jacketed bullets and does really well with a tite fitting cast bullet. i have had 1 of the ruger 77/357 and the accuracy was excellant with cast and jacket bullets in 158 gn, the only problem with that rifle was feeding from the rotary mag with flat nose pills i am have the same problem with a ruger american in 300 blk out with every thing but pointed bullets// the ruger lever gun model 96/44 feels like it should be used to paddle a boat or club seals on the ice // i also have several of the ruger 77 in various calibers and i dont think there is a finer off the rack made hunting and general screwing around rifle //at present i have the 77/22 and 77/22 mag both excellant small game and pest shooting rifles
2manyguns I just thought it would be nice to have one, do I need it ? sure like a hole in my head lol, I all ready have a Henery Bigboy in the 44mag that has the 1/38 twist that shoots 1Moa @ 100 yards.
Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
2manyguns I just thought it would be nice to have one, do I need it ? sure like a hole in my head lol, I all ready have a Henery Bigboy in the 44mag that has the 1/38 twist that shoots 1Moa @ 100 yards.
Thanks for the heads up though.
i would like one as well but i would rebarrel with a 1x33 twist as a friend of mine did and his now shoots the whole range of 44 cal pills//
Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 PM

Well, the 77/17 WSM is back up on the Ruger website as well as the 77/22, 77/357 & 77/44. Not sure why they vanished for a while. I love shooting this WSM. Cheap ammo, fast & accurate. What's not to love?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:54 PM

I love my 77/17 WSM it is very accurate and a great shooter, at the time they discontinued production I thought it would be nice to have a 77/44 for hunting in lower Michigan.
Then shortly after I found out Randys Gun shop in Bad Ax, MI had Ruger manufacture a batch of stainless American 450 Bushmasters and picked up one of them instead.
Randy sent a few of the 22" barrel versions to Mag-Na-Port and had the barrels cut down to 16" and fitted with their muzzle breaks and they are fantastic rifles
and very accurate as well.