www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Default Called in my first gray!

I was on a bow only farm this evening and had success calling my first fox with my new Spitfire. I started with the adult cottontail distress and he showed up just a few minutes into it. I then switched to vole squeaks hoping to coax him on in. He came to about 30 yards (no shot) and went back out to 50 yards and sat down ( I think he caught my scent where I had walked in). I tried the cottontail distress and vole squeaks again but he wasn't having it. I then hit the screaming grey fox sound and he came running. He got to my caller and caught my scent and started back out. I'm already drawn back at this point and following him with my pins, he stops and I let the arrow fly. I wasn't even on his vitals (target panic and him moving around so much didnt help matters). I'm a little unsure if I hit him or not. The broadhead had a few hairs on it but the arrow shaft was completely clean, no fatty film, blood or anything. He took off like a rocket. Never did find any signs of blood or hair at the POI.

I hate that I didn't get him or even worse that I may have injured him but it was an exciting hunt.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM

It sounds very exciting. Even if you cut him, he will probably heal up.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM

I had my first encounter with the grey fox myself this past weekend and man it was exciting. Don't give up on it and eventually your arrow will find it's mark. I have to tell you I missed a couple opportunities with a gun and can't imagine how tough it would be with the stick and string. Good luck to you.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:40 PM

Thanks guys! I'm a little late to the party as my season ends this weekend. My goal is to take my first fox with a bow within this time. I hate that I screwed up this opportunity. There will be more though.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:11 AM

Congratulations on calling your first. We're limited to rifles or shotguns in the UK, but this bow hunting certainly sounds interesting!
Good luck with the hunting
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 AM

Those spitfires are great on fox and I have the fox pup distress sounds to fall back on aswell just haven't had any luck with that sound yet.
Calling them in is the first step and once you see that you can get it happening the confidence is there and the harvesting comes easy. WELL DONE AND GOOD LUCK.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to JasonSelmes Send a message via Yahoo to JasonSelmes Send a message via Skype™ to JasonSelmes

I bet the heart was pumping on the stand i bet
Old 02-24-2011, 04:52 PM

Nothing like bow hunting!!!! Highs and lows would have an ordinary hunter on meds!

We've been bow hunting foxes at night for a little over a year now. Pretty fun. Have some pics on my website (riverbottomtoutdoors.com)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:31 AM

vic, that is a killer sound to use. use high volume and be ready. have fun!