www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > General Discussion > Fireside Chat

Fireside Chat Open Discussion Forum. Join us around our fire for every day chit chat.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:55 AM

Default I love black Friday

YUP!
It's kinda like the Super bowl.
It keeps MANY people home and not out messing with MY COYOTES!!!
The wind may be to hard to call cut I'll be out there trying.
It also the last few days of our big game season.
Another thing to keep them away from the dogs.
Shortly after Christmas is another BAD day to call all the cheep coyote calls given give the hoopleheads inspiration to educate the coyote population

Last edited by Furguy; 11-25-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:17 PM

Yep! I'm onboard with ya.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:42 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I have mixed emotions about this subject. In the last few years, in this area, there has been a virtual explosion of predator hunters who watch the television shows, the videos, and read everything they see in the various publications. They flock to the woods and fields, lots of time in prime coyote country, and throw every sound from their endless variety of mouth calls and ecallers, all professed to be the best and latest available to the newbies and veterans alike.

I have learned to use that as an opportunity to kill some of the biggest alpha males and females in those territories. Simple approach, go out and slip in from as different an angle you can determine, stop and sit down as quickly as possible, and give it a few minutes to blend in with the surroundings. Especially when extremely cold, I sit 100 yds or so from the ecaller, with it set to quarter with the wind, then call very little and very low volume. Maybe follow up about 5 to 10 minutes later with a little coyote sounds like two fighting over a meal, and then watch and only watch for as long as 30 minutes. Many times, you will hear a short bark or howl. Don't answer, keep watching, whoever or whatever answers next usually loses., Try it, you might like it.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:23 AM

Same kinda thought as we do.
BUT we have to do it most the coyote season.
VERY smart coyotes from here on out.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:07 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Another very important thought, in my opinion, is that coyotes, at least those in our part of Kaintucky, are busy as can be filling their gut for the upcoming winter, on venison carcasses of deer that got shot in every conceivable part of their anatomy, except the vital, sure kill, sure find and field dress spots. Buck fever makes hunters, especially younger or inexperienced hunters do goofy stuff, even though many of them can shoot 1/2 minute of angle groups on the bench rest.

Deer that are fat as hogs on a complete doe or buck, are content, fat and sassy, not too interested in eating a mouse, a vole, or even a fat, juicy bunny rabbit. Too much calling, too much volume are only two negatives that give coyotes the reputation of being smart and educated by this time of year. I disagree in most cases;they are just too full to be pushovers. When the carrion is all gone, with only deer bones to chew on, they'll get hungry again and start responding more willingly