www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Default Need some advice for my new dpms!

Hey guys I just bought me a Dpms Lr243l. The gun has a 18" 1 on 10" twist barrel. Specs http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/product...=5297&cat=1759 I have shot the gun about 40 times now and I am a little disappointed. I shot some Hornady Custom 75gr hollow points, which grouped at about 2-2.5". Then I shot some Remington 100gr core-lokt PTD Soft Points that grouped at about 1.5". I also have some hand loaded nosler 95gr ballistic tips with 43 grains of IMR4350 that I shoot in my Remington 700 bdl, but have not tried them yet. Now Iím not expecting this gun to be as accurate as my 700 but I mean come on? There has got to be a way to make this gun shoot a little better, at least sub moa at 100. I bought this gun for coyote hunting so I could get the shots off a little faster when I have several dogs come out at once. Is there any good factory ammo that any of you would recommend? The paper work says that I will void the warranty if I shoot hand loads in it? Do I have anything to worry about? What are some good hand loads that you would recommend? Now like I said I'm not expecting it to shoot as good as my 700 (put 4 shots through a penny at 100 yards multiple times), Iím just wanting to make it a little more accurate! Do you think that I just need to buy some cheep ammo and break it in more? All help appreciated! Many thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:26 PM

I'm assuming you have a 223? If you do, then your bullets weights don't seem compatible with your twist rate. Try going with a lighter bullet if you reload or try some 68 grain Black Hills ammo.. If it doesn't shoot with that then I wouldn't be blaming the ammo.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 AM

just a question, but what does dpms recommend? i would'nt be afraid to try hornady 58 grain v-max. either moly coated or not. hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:24 PM

My bad, I see it is a 243. As said, see what DPMS recommends or try calling them.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I have shot the gun about 40 times now and I am a little disappointed
should've bought a stag. lol. but seriously your weapon should be more accurate than that. keep trying different ammo'til you find out what works best for your particular gun.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Don't worry yet. The gun may require some break in time. You may need to explore a little in your ammo selection as well. I am not a 243 guy so can't really help in the load department. I would expect any FF'd AR with a match trigger to shoot right up there with any quality bolt gun.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM

i have the dpms 243 and some ammo that i found to be lights out is federal 100 grain power shok soft points. I have shot around 100 coyotes with it and only about 5 have a hole bigger then a quarter. Shot around 15 cats with it and only 1 with hold bigger then dime. Rounds drop deer in their tracts also, and to add, no tracking on any dogs yet. I buy this ammo at walmart and it runs 15 bucks for 20 so not horrible
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM

Default dpms 243

did you lap the barrel in while sighting in? i do all of mine and you can watch the group shrink.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Properly cleaning a new gun is nesessary. As far as I know black hills is the best ammo for ARs. Always scores the best in reviews in gun magazines. They never test ARs with out shooting Black Hills.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM

I just purchased a Colt CR6724. The groups are good but I think they could be better. I know the problem is the trigger. I don't know much about the DPMS, but if the trigger is anything like the Colts your groups should tighten right up with a new one in it. I am going to drop a Geiseille trigger in mine as soon as they become available..right now they are backordered. The CR has a 5.5 lb trigger and my LE6940 has a 8+ lb trigger. Just takes forever to break over.