www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:22 PM

thank u venatic & royboy.I loaded some up and they did good on paper 1 1/2 group at 200 yd maybe a little bigger, but i haven't got to go hunting yet. 12 hour day sure mess things up. thanks every body
Old 11-09-2009, 10:53 PM

you are gaining speed and losing knock down power. Why gain 11 inches and lose almost 30% in energy? Get elevation knobs that adjust according to distance. Any animal at 400 yards won't be noticing you turn the knob, getting set up, etc. When you use elevation compensation knobs, you adjust and hold right on. Watch the video "beyond belief" and you'll get away from faster and you'll think more about making the shot easier with elevation compensation knobs.

Here is a wonderful company that will get you exactly what you need...

http://www.kentonindustries.com/knobs/

It's amazingly simple and cheaper than getting a "faster" gun or reloading faster bullets. Reload bullets that work best and become a better aim and estimator of distance...that's where it counts.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Hi Gutshot.I have the same setup you have.Did you find any loads you like?.I tryed some Noslers[60GRs]and they were shotin 3/4" at 150yds.I havent cronoed them yet as its very cold here in VT.I tryed dif.powders and found that 322 is the powder it likes with that bullet.I dont recall the powder load ill have to look it up.Everyone is sleepin or i would find it for you,that is,if your intrested?.If you have any loads i would like to have a look see.Good luck to you.pan.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to denis1227

For Varmints, I load up 50gr. varmint grenades with 24gr. of varget. Great fast load, and dont tear up the hide. If your keeping the hide? If not, then what ever your rifle likes.
I have several different powders, and I load up all kinds of loads, and find the one my rifle can group 1/2 at 100 yards.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:05 PM

my .223 pet load is 27.0gr.H4895/50gr.sierra blitzking#1450 & fed match primer.c.o.a.l.2.280.I just tested IMR 8208 xbr 24.7gr. is were i ended up.at 100yds its a 1 holer.Shootn a browning a bolt W/a med.barrel.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:07 AM

hi,,,i use the nosler 60 grain partition loaded to 1/2 grain below minimum with IMR 4895 and get an average of 2780 FPS cronied,,,around here,shots are less than 200 yards however did make a 230 yard shot with cross hairs right on top of the yotes shoulder where the grass meets the fur and he was DRT,,,also i sight in at 2 inches high at 100 yards,,,i went from 1/2 grain below minimum all the way to 1/2 grain above max and that was my most accurate load,,,speed is not a factor in hunting loads,however accuracy is in my books,,,camojoe
Old 07-01-2010, 01:31 AM

60 gr, 40 gr neither one matters if you miss. How long a shot are you making? I would challenge you to sit and do the flight time and trajectory math within the MEAN shooting distance...not AVG but mean (50% longer shots, 50% shorter shots). The differences really aren't all that great. Too much attention given to loads and not enough given to shooting, getting a feel for a gun. I would recommend getting to know one load very well get'em as close as possible and success will follow.

FYI: I found one load shoots really well and that is the only load I use....55gr VMax, Varget powder.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:47 AM

Gutshot1, I shoot the same setup. I am handloading Berger 55gr match bullets with 25gr of varget havent had a chance to chrono them yet but i am getting groups well below 1 moa and the match bullets are working great on coyotes. the data books are a great guide but dont trust them always chrono the rounds. shoot 5 get the average velocity and use a ballistic calculator to get your bullet drop or "DOPE". also keep in mind that most of the off the shelf 223 barrells are designed to shoot a 55gr bullet.
VCOP )))------->