www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:53 PM

Default First One Ever!!

After 4-ish years and lots of hiccups, I was finally able to call in and kill my first coyote. 22.5 lb blonde female.

Went to the farm my buddy has permission to deer/coyote/whatever hunt because the landowner has been hearing them "every night" and she wants them "gone". we showed up at 630 and headed to the green field and set up along a fence row looking down to the opposite corner of the field towards the thickets where the coyotes are often heard. We sat on the ground and hung out until about 715-730 when we got setup, me on the stool w the gun and my buddy Doug standing next to me with the spotlight. We were just trying to wait a little longer to get beyond that "too dark to see, too light to spotlight" time and I heard a yote way off in the distance lone howl, followed by I'm guessing 2 or 3 more that lit up and they howled and yipped together. Doug hit a loud long howl on his Primos Double Whammy Mouth call and instantly we had a yote start howling with some barks mixed in, back at us for about 10 seconds. We turned the spotlight on and I started baby cottontail on low and turning up more and more every couple minutes, and decoy running. What I believe was about 12-15 minutes into calling Doug catches eyes across the field in the distance. I can just barely see the head so I wait. Coyote starts pacing and looking at the sound so I turn the caller down...and down to almost barely audible. Coyote breaks and starts making her way in. I turn my scope mounted kill light on and follow her, waiting for more body to show up and her to stop. I can hear Doug in my ear "light him up...light him up.... light him up....". coyote pauses, trots, pauses, trots, pauses.... and I let her have it. dropped her in her tracks.

After all the frustration and heart aches I finally got my first one. I feel like I finally filled that void in my life that has been missing these past few years lol. Thought I was hooked before?? .....NOWWWW I'm hooked!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (86.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 12:55 PM

sorry, not sure how to rotate my photo. It was right-side-up when I attached it
Old 10-08-2015, 01:13 PM

Sure is a pretty one! Just got my first this past March and had a chance at #2 this past weekend but couldn't get a shot. Definitely one you'll never forget!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:56 PM

That is one very good looking yotes! The first one you will always remember. Congratulations!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:44 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Congrats, I know that HAD to feel GOOD!

I still remember my first one (that was called in) very clearly. Will be 38 years ago in a few more weeks. Don't remember very many of them from the years gone by in between, honestly don't remember all of them from the past month, but the sight picture I had on that first one just before my .270 went bang and the feeling I had is still burned into my brain even after all these years.

- DAA
Old 10-08-2015, 07:47 PM

Congrats thats awsome!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 PM

Grats on your first kill--skin and have ' em tanned you'll be glad you did 30 years from now----Nice dog--------------------------sb
Old 10-09-2015, 12:07 AM

Nice looking coyote! Congrats!

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association
PPHA.us
Old 10-09-2015, 12:00 PM

The first of many to come ! YOU WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR FIRST ! Mine still hangs out in the garage with me, lol. What a beauty she is too !

I knew you were going to connect it was just a matter of when. They don't come easy around here most of the time but it is very rewarding when you do take one !

Look forward to your next pics ! Congrats !!!
Old 10-09-2015, 01:11 PM

Congrats man...I am smiling right now for you....I can still remember the first ones I called in...a double...first one came out of the woods to my left and offered no shot...second one followed seconds later and I barked to stop it....30 yard chip shot...boy was I excited!

Disclosure: Pro Staff for Pulsar as of 8/3/2015
Pro Staff Predator Hunter Outdoors
FOXPRO Shockwave, Foxjack3, Jack Attack decoy, SP60 speaker
Del-Ton AR 15
Franklin Armory F17 - V4 AR upper
Savage Axis .223,
Savage 93XP Camo 17HMR
Savage Bmag SS bull barrel, Pulsar N850 LRF
Remington 1187 with Sightmark Ultra Shot M-Spec
Pulsar Quantum HD38a
Pulsar Apex XD50a
Facebook page Dog Tired TV