www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Default So close

I decided I was going to try my cousins farm last night to see if I could call in a coyote. I've gone up there many times but have never seen a one, I've only heard them howl back at the call. Well last night was a first for me. I've never actually called in a coyote at night. We got set up and played a little bay bee cottontail and here comes one running across the top of the hill. Of course the only shot I had was when it was standing on the peak of the hill so I wasn't going to take a shot and risk missing. It turned and went over the hill so I changed the call to a pup distress and 2 minutes later another one(I guess it could have been the same one) came in the exact same way the first one did, but couldn't get a shot at that one either.
So now I'm wondering how long I should wait before I go back and try again. They also say they've seen them during the day a few times too. Should I try going before it gets dark? Right as the sun is going down? I'm only 18 and I've only had a couple encounters with coyotes so I'll take all the advice and techniques I can get. I live in Virginia, so getting the chance to take a shot on a coyote is pretty rare and I want to make sure I'm doing all I can do so that hopefully I can call one in and take it!
Old 10-06-2015, 02:52 PM

If it were me, I'd keep going if I know they are there..that's the most important part..

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association
PPHA.us
Old 10-06-2015, 04:17 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Be careful though. You can definitely wise them up. Then they'll be way harder to get dead.

Can't be of any specific help, myself. I almost never do any night hunting and rarely make the same stand twice in one year.

But I'd think about calling from a different direction, with a different sound, maybe.

Time of day... Like I said, I'm a daytime guy, can't really speak to the night hunting. But for daytime, in my areas out west, first light in the morning is the most productive. Definitely a higher percentage of call-ins at first light than last light, for me.

- DAA
Old 10-06-2015, 05:51 PM

What DAA said use a different sound or sounds setup in a different angle. Nighttime is when I call certain areas down here because of cal shy coyotes the cover of darkness lets them come in a little easier as opposed to calling them in the daylight however both will work. Calling during dark of the moon is better because a full moon will light you up. Use a red lense on your light as white light will blind and scare them, get a light shroud to where the light splash does not light you, truck, area around you up.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Another question I though of is how important is concealment at night? Do you still recommend wearing camo and finding something like a tree or fence row to sit against?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 PM

Concealment is important at night just like the day time if you are hunting in a truck or if you are just sitting there the moon and stars will be bright and the coyotes might see you so just like a day time stand break up your outline. Camo isn't that important at night I would say movement and noise is more critical. Predators hunt allot more during a full moon night since they can see there prey better.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:57 PM

That's strange. Me and my hunting partner have never had any luck at all on nights with a bright moon. We might should try concealing ourselves better on nights the moon is brighter. We always park pretty far away from where we make our stand and walk in so we never hunt out of the truck.
Thanks for all the advice!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:15 PM

No problem. Good luck yall will start hammering em pretty soon i'm sure.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. I sent you a private message.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:53 PM

Me and partner..never had any luck during full moon...if you can see your shadow its no good....in my parts...darker the better..Im going on Sunday morning to take one out!