www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:33 AM

Default savage .204 ruger question.

I am looking to upgrade from my .17hmr cause I am trying to get more into the coyote hunting rather than smaller game. I am looking at a savage model 12 fv from cabelas. My question is its a cabelas exclusive and it's so much cheaper than any other model 12s from anywhere else. I am kinda on a budget so that why I was going to go with this option. I love savage guns (I own 2) but do they make these gun of less quality for the "big box" stores? I sold my .17hmr for $400 dollars so if there are any other better firearms at this price I would look into them as well. Thanks for any information in advance.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 AM

Also was looking at a ruger american bolt action rifle in .204 which got really good reviews. I'm try to spend around $400-500. I am kinda leaning toward the ruger after doing some research.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:04 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

My guess, except for a possibly even cheaper plastic stock than usual, no quality difference. The barrel and the action, trigger, are going to be the exact same. Stock probably is too - the non- Cabelas FV stocks are pretty flimsy, hard to imagine making them even cheaper.

I'd bet a hundred dollars the Savage would be more accurate than the Ruger.

There are a bunch of different Ruger American configurations. Depending on which one you are looking at, if it's one of the more traditional sporter models, it will probably "handle" a lot better than the FV on a coyote stand. That heavy barrel config just doesn't handle very well for me, on stand, anyway.

- DAA
Old 09-28-2015, 11:51 PM

The Ruger American Predator Rifle is going to be a pretty good Rifle for the money in my opinion,light weight with an adjustable trigger.A CZ model 527 "American" in the .204 would be another good choice but will cost around $550.00-$625.00 Range,with a wood stock and should come with free factory rings,
Old 09-29-2015, 12:08 AM

I would give the m77 Hawkeye in .204 a look I have 2 m77 Hawkey's one chambered in .223 and other in 22-250 both are accurate and very well made I have done trigger jobs on both of them as well.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:57 AM

i have 2 77 hawkeyes in 204. 1 predator and 1 target....both tackdrivers.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:43 AM

Thompson Center Venture Predator 204 / 1:10 rate of twist
40gr. V-Max factory loads/ no pass throughs/ dead right there.

They have a package deal with a scope out. Google it and you can find them. $75 rebate from factory till end of year.

The Savage is a great shooter too !Happy shopping !
Old 09-29-2015, 09:38 PM

I own the el cheapo Savage M25 walking varminter in .204... definitely no frills but a very good shooter..I did swap stocks after while with a Boyds but even in the factory synthetic stock it was accurate . I own a 17hh in an M25 WV as well and it shoots just as good..they aren't safe queens, their tools and they do their job well.

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association
PPHA.us
Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 PM

Thanks for all the imput. Went with a Thompson venture predator in .204 ruger. 1 MOA accuracy out the box advertised. Just need to figure out what scope to get for it now. Any input on that?! Thanks for all the info on the subject, I'm just getting into coyote hunting.

Last edited by rhomc; 10-07-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:14 PM

Check out the Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40mm or Vx-1 Leupold scope.....great glass and nice and clear at 3 power up to 9 power and good clarity in the early mornings & late evenings when light is low!