www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:43 PM

Well boys the eagle has landed. Received my savage 204 today. All being said I think I will be purchasing a laminated thumbhole stock because the stock that came with the fcv is a little flimsy and that thing would flex with a bi-pod. Its going to be a little bit before I get the gun built up with scope and hardware but will post pic when complete.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:07 AM

Own both..never had a runner with the .204 everything died and died well...from groundhogs to raccoons, fox and coyotes..pelt damage, like already stated, some good, some bad..As for the 17 hornet, lost a coyote and 3 fox this year..most likely my fault..obviously because they didn't die..but in my mind, I hear the voice saying.."shoulda had the .204"..but a bad shot is a bad shot and there lies the problem. Also, I own Vortex V-Brites and like them a lot...Have the Hog Hunter 3-12x56 on the .204 and a 3-9x50 on the 17hh..

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association
PPHA.us
Old 03-12-2015, 09:34 AM

dorfox what model savage is your 204
Old 03-12-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORFOX View Post
Well boys the eagle has landed. Received my savage 204 today. All being said I think I will be purchasing a laminated thumbhole stock because the stock that came with the fcv is a little flimsy and that thing would flex with a bi-pod. Its going to be a little bit before I get the gun built up with scope and hardware but will post pic when complete.
The Accu-Stock is amazingly stiff. I was skeptical at first but I'm a fan. All in all I'm happy with my Savage 12.....love the oversized bolt. Very smooth. Not too thrilled with the semi-gloss barrel though.....may have to paint this rig....
Old 03-12-2015, 11:21 PM

my fcv did not come with a accu-stock and on the website it says it doesn't come with it wish it did I like the one on my 270. Been doing some searching and it seem they change it for the 2014 -2015 models for what reason I do not know why but whatever even by buying a thumbhole I'm still coming in under what u can buy one for. Mine has a matte finsh.

Last edited by DORFOX; 03-13-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DORFOX View Post
my fcv did not come with a accu-stock and on the website it says it doesn't come with it wish it did I like the one on my 270. Been doing some searching and it seem they change it for the 2014 -2015 models for what reason I do not know why but whatever even by buying a thumbhole I'm still coming in under what u can buy one for. Mine has a matte finsh.
Mine is a "Distributor Edition".....thats when the factory makes a few of one model with mixed peices for certain distributors and they sell it as something special. In this case it was a semi gloss FCV put in a accustock and came with a picatinny rail.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:01 AM

Reading a few of the posts about the hornet and having issues one here . I use the hornet as a walk around rifle , a lot lighter to carry than my varmint sako 223 vls . During summer in oz the factory 20gr vmax loads are fine althou hitting bone they tend to be explosive making huge exit holes . During winter when they have a lot heavier winter coats I was having a lot of run offs , good solid hits but lacking penetration at around 150 yards . Since that I have switched to loading nosler 20gr fbhp and find they penetrate a lot better and have a lot more controlled expansion , good bang flops and as accurate as the factory hornady loads . Main reason I stay with the hornet is the extra range you get over the 17hmr , the extra punch and in my situation a lot of the propertys I get asked to shoot on are smaller places , chicken farms etc were the noise is an issue . Half the noise of either the 223 or 17 rem I use in other situations , meaning when I get 2 coming in to the call I can often get a shot at the second one after ive dropped the first .Great little close to midrange cartridge but I find projectile choice and shot placement can be critical with it .
Old 04-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiefox View Post
Reading a few of the posts about the hornet and having issues one here . I use the hornet as a walk around rifle , a lot lighter to carry than my varmint sako 223 vls . During summer in oz the factory 20gr vmax loads are fine althou hitting bone they tend to be explosive making huge exit holes . During winter when they have a lot heavier winter coats I was having a lot of run offs , good solid hits but lacking penetration at around 150 yards . Since that I have switched to loading nosler 20gr fbhp and find they penetrate a lot better and have a lot more controlled expansion , good bang flops and as accurate as the factory hornady loads . Main reason I stay with the hornet is the extra range you get over the 17hmr , the extra punch and in my situation a lot of the propertys I get asked to shoot on are smaller places , chicken farms etc were the noise is an issue . Half the noise of either the 223 or 17 rem I use in other situations , meaning when I get 2 coming in to the call I can often get a shot at the second one after ive dropped the first .Great little close to midrange cartridge but I find projectile choice and shot placement can be critical with it .
The 17HH over here is also fine in the warmer times......but IMHO hunting in a harsh bitter cold winter like this past one the 17HH did not perform well. When the temps are below freezing any round will suffer....but the smaller ones, like the 17HH really suffer. Not only is the air more dense but the small case/amount of powder is effected....towards the end of season after we had been out for several hours a shot report would only be "Poof" instead of a loud crisp "BANG!".
Old 04-04-2015, 01:13 PM

I never knew temperature could have an effect that much on bullets. How much do you think 11 degree weather affects a 22 mag and 30 grain vmax?
Old 04-04-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrystrong View Post
I never knew temperature could have an effect that much on bullets. How much do you think 11 degree weather affects a 22 mag and 30 grain vmax?
Severe cold has effect on both bullet and powder. The colder the air the more dense it is. The smaller the case the less powder you have which effects burn rate.

Even bigger rounds......the boys in WWII (IE: Battle of The Bulge) and Korea found that out real quick.....