www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 PM

Angry Heavy Barrel Bmag Accuracy

I picked up a new heavy barrel bmag the other day Because I wanted to try the new cartridge in a heavier rifle. A friend of mine has the standard barrel and it shoots terrible (2+" 3 shot groups at 100 yards). I figured the heavy barrel version had to be much better. I have cleaned my rifle many times after properly breaking the barrel in and it still won't even come close to shooting as good as my cheap marlin 17 hmr. I'm probably getting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds and that just isn't gonna cut it. So my question is, how many bmag shooters on here have had similar issues and what did you do to help this issue. If I can't get it under an inch at 100 then I don't really have any use for this rifle. Thanks in advance for any input!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 AM

I don't own one but I have heard the ammo can be inconsistent.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Brimmy are you suddenly out of hunting and into bench rest competition? ; )

Just kidding. But why the 17WSM if you have the 17 Hornet you reload for?
Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 PM

I don't know how much you are cleaning it, but you might want to let it go and see if it improves. Not unusal for a factory barrel to shoot better fouled. If you are a hand loader and have tested much then you already know how much different bullets alone can make a difference. Try every load you can get your hands on. Also, are you shooting when the air is calm?? It doesn't take a lot of wind to open up a group. Just some thoughts.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 PM

XNAVY, Yeah I like for them to perform on the bench well too. LOL. The catridge just caught my eye and wanted to give it a shot. Anything 17 caliber intrigues me. I still have my Ruger 17 hornet and the MGM custom 17 hornet barrel for my Encore. And several 17 hmrs. I've thought about picking up a 17 Remington but I have a 204 and several 223's so I just haven't pulled the trigger on one. kdvarmint I tried everything I knew to try with that wsm. Clean, dirty, somewhat fouled, cleaning with different solvents and I came to the conclusion after chronographing several different rounds of ammo that the ammo was Probably the problem. The chrono was showing as much as 150 fps difference between each shot. So I got tired of waiting on quality ammo for it and sold it and ordered my MGM Custom barrel in 17 hornet.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:01 PM

I don't know from my own experience but have heard from those who sell and those who own these rifles that the barrel for these rifles are designed to shoot well with the 20 grain bullet and the 25 grain will not shoot well giving groups as you have stated but the twenty grain is capable of dime size groups at 100 yd.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:08 PM

The ammo that I could find were the 20 and 25 gr polymer tip bullets. Neither shot well in my rifle but I didn't get to try the 20 gr hollow points. I wish Hornady would've made ammo for it when I still had mine. Now Hornady is offering a 20 gr v-max for it.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:25 PM

Visit bellmtcs.com for info about 20gr vs 25gr and barrel twist rate of the 17WSM. Also, I have heard that some of the b-mags stocks are putting excessive side pressure on the barrel causing erratic groupings.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:22 PM

There's a lot of good information being offered out there. But if I can offer my 2 cents, try sorting your ammo by weight it might help tighten your groups some.
A call to Savage may be in order, they have helped me with some issues past and present.
I believe that both Savage and CCI have the same parent company. Maybe if these two companies put there minds together they could come up with something that works, just a thought.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:32 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I had also heard a lot about trouble with the stocks on the brags. Boyd's makes a stock for it but I didn't want to make the investment in a stock at the time without knowing how much it would help the accuracy. I sold this rifle not long after the initial post. I would really like to see another manufacturer make a rifle for this round. A $200 Marlin would be great!! I am glad that Hornady is making ammo
For it now, hopefully CCI will jump on board soon.