www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by articwolf View Post
I did find some Sierra 95gr Match bullets and ordered those up their HPBT and almost a 500 BC..................... however I cant seam to win for loosing as after they were ordered I stumpled onto the fact that there is quite a bit of hype on the internet saying that a standard Ruger barrel doesn't seam to want to stabilize these bulllets very well, and I may have problems getting them to shoot??????????? So I then go to the Sierra WEBSITE and sure enough they have it highlighted that the bullet wont shoot out of a 10" twist barrel..................
Here is what Sierra says about it
6mm .243 caliber (.243) 95 gr. HPBT Match

The 6mm 95 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet was designed to fill the need for a lighter weight alternative to the Sierra 6mm 107 MatchKing. This bullet is a popular choice for across the course and long range target customers. Sierra built this bullet off our ever popular 6mm 107 HPBT MatchKing design with a long ogive, small meplat and improved boat tail to preserve downrange efficiency, enhance accuracy, and reduce wind-drift.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Please Note!! This bullet requires a 9" twist barrel.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
What model Ruger do you have? I have a Ruger Hawkeye 243 Standard barrel which (according to Ruger specs) is 1:9 twist. It won't shoot lighter bullets well. I have been looking for a heavier bullet as well to work up a load that will be effective on both coyote and deer.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:04 PM

Articwolf, I load the Sierra 60 gr.HP Varminter in a Winchester 70 for yotes and get good results out to 260-275 yds. Loaded to about 3575 fps and bucks wind better than anything have tried. Always done the job without destroying pelts and not too bad on fox if stay off bone.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:29 PM

another vote for 58r. V-Max. handloaded with Hodgdon Varget. shoots very consistant, readily available, minimal pelt damage, most times instant death and no exit wound, I understand the hookshot issue working with very high crosswinds, read i believe on Hornady site that the A-Max is for target only and not hunting