www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM

243 85GR HPBT Federal. Deadly on deer. Coyotes if you hit them broadside and hit bone you can expect a hole big enough to put your head through. I never tried anything else in the 243 cal.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:15 AM

Guy over on the Nosler site that suggested the 105 Amax claims his buddy uses it in N Dakota all the time and claims it doesn't usually come out, says the jacket is sooooo thin on the bullet it basically never makes it to the other side, of course the weight of the bullet would be a huge advantage for me with this wicked wind I have to fight almost ever shot we get , the bullet has a high BC so I think I better order up a box and will report back on this later......................
Old 01-04-2014, 05:23 PM

I use the 58gn Hornady V Max drops them in their tracks...
Ruger Percision Rifle 243 Harris extended S25C
Vortex 4x12x50 crossfire on each setup
Hornady V-Max 58gr
Old 01-04-2014, 05:55 PM

Sierra 80gr Blitz SPBT over H4350 has worked great for me. Good penetration and small exits.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Speer makes a 85gr BTSP that is constructed as a medium game bullet. I tried using it as a chuck bullet when it first came out, and found it didn't open up well at all. Many years later, I was shooting racoons for fur, and found it put a pencil size entrance and exit, and rolled them on the spot with barely a wiggle. It also works on foxes when they show up, and won't wreck the fur. It's tougher than the Sierra 85gr BTHP, which is a super antelope bullet.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:42 PM

Remington 80 grain psp. Kansas has a lot of wind and that is what my 243 shot the best.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:43 AM

Default Hornady 75gr Vmax isnt working well

I had switched over from the 87gr bullets late last season to the 75gr Vmax and killed a couple of smaller yotes with it , but am not getting off to a very good start with that bullet this year. I shot a medium sized yote the other nite off my bait at 250yds and knocked it down , it was up and running in a few seconds , I went out with a light assuming it was laying right there, there was some blood and a junk of hair and a bit of flesh meat laying there so I started to follow the blood trail and went out onto the lake a couple hundred yards and the blood started to become less and less. So next morning I followed it a half mile and never got the coyote. So I put up a target at the bait to check the rifle??? Used a 3 qt bottle from Walmart that Cranberry juice comes in full of water. I hit the bottle about 4"low and two inches to the left of center , the gun was OFF and I found the rear base screw had loosed , So the coyote was facing me when I fired, and I held for top of his chest, so witht the gun shooting where it was, he is probably hit around the top of the left front leg I am guessing where it joins the body, at any rate when I went out to pick up the bottle , I was shocked to see the Vmax laying right behind it in the snow????? That is all the penetration I got with it pushed with 46grs of W760 powder???? It is going almost 3300fps, And the bullet failed miserably it slipped its core! and the lead did its own thing and was gone somewhere??? Here is the results of the 70gr Vmax.............. Like Adrian I had fantastic luck with the< 58gr Vmax killing Coyotes> , but with the strong winds I have to deal with, and the long distances I am shooting; there was just way too much drift, with that bullet weight, so I had do something different.

Last edited by articwolf; 01-31-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:06 PM

Default Never did find any A Max bullets but.........

I did find some Sierra 95gr Match bullets and ordered those up their HPBT and almost a 500 BC..................... however I cant seam to win for loosing as after they were ordered I stumpled onto the fact that there is quite a bit of hype on the internet saying that a standard Ruger barrel doesn't seam to want to stabilize these bulllets very well, and I may have problems getting them to shoot??????????? So I then go to the Sierra WEBSITE and sure enough they have it highlighted that the bullet wont shoot out of a 10" twist barrel..................
Here is what Sierra says about it
6mm .243 caliber (.243) 95 gr. HPBT Match

The 6mm 95 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet was designed to fill the need for a lighter weight alternative to the Sierra 6mm 107 MatchKing. This bullet is a popular choice for across the course and long range target customers. Sierra built this bullet off our ever popular 6mm 107 HPBT MatchKing design with a long ogive, small meplat and improved boat tail to preserve downrange efficiency, enhance accuracy, and reduce wind-drift.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Please Note!! This bullet requires a 9" twist barrel.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited by articwolf; 02-09-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 AM

Hi there my fried and I are coming over in May for the month to hunt coyote, following on from which bullet to use in this thread, it seams to be the 85gn Sierra HPBT has the edge. I done Africa 4 times and ALWAYS used Barnes TTX 130gns in my 270 with superb accuracy and knockdown. We will be using AR 223 and Savage Axis 243, haven't seen one recommendation for Barnes at all, I found they pretty much dropped everything with one shot, almost always exited the medium game, and meat damage was minimal, but knockdown and accuracy was superb. They list a75gn, and a 85gn, and as I found out, always punch one load up above their weight. I shoot about 80-100 deer a year, and Barnes are my preferred bullet in all my rifles, 243 100gns, 270 130gns, 7x57 140gns, all mostly in TTX format if I can get them. Why don't you guys use them as pelt/hide damage is minimal, yet the wound channel and deep penetration knocked all 100+ animal's I shot in 5 trips to Africa, went down on the spot, or within 20 yards, Blue wildebeests are tough critters. basically what load and bullet IS best for coyote, where we will not be hunting for fur, and don't want to loose an animal/trophy as described elsewhere.deerwarden

Last edited by deerwarden; 02-10-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 AM

MOST OF MY FRIENDS USE 55 GR NOSLER IN THEIR 243'S FOR COYOTE MOST ONE SHOT KILLS LITTLE FUR DAMAGE---I USE SERRIA'S 55 BK AND i'M REAL PLEASED--3910 PFS OUT OF MY MODEL70 24" COYOTE LITE------