www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Default Coyote loads for the 243W

Been shooting this caliber for years , used to use a 80gr HP for around ten years and found it to work well , got into the Vmaxs a while back and had super luck with the 58gr but because of the distance to my bait and the amount of wind I have to deal with , that bullet didn't work out for us , went to the 87gr Vmax and have really not had great luck with that bullet and actually had more "run offs" with that than I like to think about , looks fantastic on paper but didn't perform that well for me, I am now try ing the 75gr Vmax and it is working ok but have only killed a half dozen coyotes with it so school is still out on the bullet .
Would be nice to know what everyone is using that is shooting a 243 ?? I realize about everyone likes the performance of the 58gr and I did too but in a 30 kt crosswind and the animal at 300 yds that light bullet got a serve case of the "bends"
There was a fella on the Nosler site speaking of using a 105 Amax [target bullet??] and claimed it had such a thin jacket that it was explosive once it entered the animal ?????? Anyone know anything about that??
Old 01-01-2014, 05:44 PM

I don't really know about the match bullet but I do remember that when I was shooting my 243 a lot my favorite bullet was the Sierra 85 gr gameking HPBT. As long as I didn't hit bone it didn't give a lot of pelt damage and dropped whatever I shot in its tracks. Hope that helps!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:58 PM

Default Great info

Thanks for that info , that is now the third time I have heard that from a fellow hunter so I will keep that tucked away the next time I order form Grafs!
Old 01-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmyfish View Post
I don't really know about the match bullet but I do remember that when I was shooting my 243 a lot my favorite bullet was the Sierra 85 gr gameking HPBT. As long as I didn't hit bone it didn't give a lot of pelt damage and dropped whatever I shot in its tracks. Hope that helps!!!
That's what I shoot out of my 243.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 PM

I have used the 155 AMAX out of my 308 with great success on whitetails, dunno how much this pertains to the 6mm AMAX.

That said the only reason they worked great was due to shot placement, most were does shot thru the imagination.

They did not expand like a typical hunting bullet, .30 cal hole in .50-.75 cal hole out.

Shot one big bodied 5 point cull at 15 yards to get the 25 cent piece hole.

I have switched to Barnes TTSX.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:45 AM

Anything out of a 243 with good shot placement is going to drop them instantly. With that said I would think 55 or 70 grn nosler ballistic tips will be the most fur friendly.

Last edited by msterrett; 01-02-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to perrytrails

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmyfish View Post
+2 what he said
Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 AM

I use a 70 grain Sierra MatchKing loaded to 3200 fps.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Speer 90 gr spitzer, 46 gr 4350,
Old 01-03-2014, 06:32 PM

Wow
Thanks for the info men. There are so many good loads out there but in my sitation where I am shooting over bait that is exactly 250yds out on the lake and how this darn winter wind blows here 20-40 kts is COMMON and its usually at a direct 90 angle for me , light bullets just WILL NOT work here................. the 58gr Vmax works amazingly but it bend way to far in the wind for us. So I am really hoping to find something back up in the 100gr areana that is light enough in the jacket to peel right back instantly , for all of you that watched the movie of the coyote running off 300 yds after being smashed with a 87 gr Vmax , I was shocked that bullet didn't work better for me....................... I had a ton of run offs with it mostly all hit the same way , animals facing me , shot in the chest area and exiting down thru the paunch , getting an exit hole on almost everyone I ever fired at. The old 80gr HP that I used to use hardly ever came out and I had about an 80% drop on the spot and never leave the scene of the accident sorta closing rate with that bullet but almost the exact opposite with the 87gr Vmax....................... go figure!