www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:54 PM

Default Winchester model 70 22 250

Hey guys my first post here and I hate to start it off with a question so don't drag me over the coals too bad. I'm looking for a dedicated coyote gun and a friend of mine offered me a deal on his model 70. Problem is I don't really know what it's worth. I don't know a lot about Winchester or semi custom builds and I know you guys cant give me a definite answer with my limited knowledge of the gun but I'll tell you what I gathered tonight when I was looking it over. First off I'm sure its a custom build. It is a synthetic or maybe Kevlar stock with a camo kind of pattern and he said it has aluminum weights in it, I actually have never seen a stock like it. I'm sure it's aftermarket and high quality. The action has the three position safety and a trigger job. The barrel is heavy stainless. Scope and bipod is nothing special a few hundred dollars would cover them both. Basically I'm needing a estimate on model 70's in good shape ready to hunt I know it's a broad spectrum but it's a semi custom build and it looks to be done right and the gun is pure love. Plus he has around 50rnds or so of ammo to go with it. I wish I would have gotten a few pics to give ya idea but my time was limited as I had rabbits to skin. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by kylee86; 11-30-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-30-2013, 02:26 PM

Welcome to the forums.
When a rifle is customized it may or may not make it worth more. I'd search the Internet for similar rifles to get an idea of what they are going for. There are a number of online auction sites and you can probably find something that will give you an idea.
Since the seller is a friend, would it be possible to shoot the rifle first?
Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 PM

Yeah, just didn't know what some of the other guys were paying for this style rifle. This style model 70 new bare rifle is north of 1k from what I'm reading and still is fetching close to that in good used condition on auction sites. There isn't a whole lot of them out for sale on the internet right now actually. The stock is surely worth a few hundred as well as scope. Anyway he wants 900 for it and the ammo, doesn't sound too bad to me. And shooting it wouldn't be a problem we live close and have property to shoot on. Love to have it but I'm kinda partial to my wood guns. Thanks for the reply though.

Last edited by kylee86; 11-30-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Im a idiot...
Old 12-01-2013, 08:53 AM

You could buy a new gun for a lot less, and they shoot just fine.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 AM

We need ALOT more information to help you out here, its sorta like asking what a 57 Chevy is worth ......................period............. first of all if its a prewar gun , all original nice shape HUGE money. Or if its pre 1964 ditto; its still strong money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,So you need to figure out the guns age, from the ser #that would be the first order of business. Can you tell us if it is a control round feed ??? Does it have the extractor on the side of the bolt, or is this just a push feed,button eject, [1965-1990] Model 70 ??? If it were a early control round gun in minty condition, it could be many thousands of dollars and if its a 1970s plain old push feed gun, that someone has stuck an after market stock on, with a cheap scope .......................... now you could be all the way back to $ 300 bucks................... so they vary wildly in price. If you had some good photos of the gun ,so you could post them on here , we could probably get you in the ball park............ havin been brought up around my dads gunshop and selling them myself for the last fourty odd years , I can hear it in your post that you are pretty fond of this thing already, and I suspect that you may have already made up your mind ????
Good Luck with your purchase.............. if in fact you are wondering if he wants toooooooo much for it [which has certainly been known to happen] you may want to forget the rabbits and get a good solid appraisal on the gun as you loose a friend later on when you find out you paid toooooo much for it. If I had a dollar, for every guy that bought a "custom rifle", and then later showed up at a gun show, with it only to find out he had <double or triple> into it; what the rest of the gunworld was willing to pay for it , I would be in Monte' Carlo; with Pamela Anderson twin, faning me with a fig leaf, as I sipped an adult beverage, with an umbrella in it!

Last edited by articwolf; 12-31-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the replies. I did a little more research on the gun. It is a coyote model and the stock is a HS precision. I don't have a serial number to date it off of Im sure I can get it. How far back did they make the coyote model 70 for the age to make it worth more? I still figure his price isn't too bad judging by what I've seen on the web. I haven't bought it yet but I may later on. I kinda wish it had the factory laminated stock. The Kevlar stock is weighted and makes the whole gun heavier and would be annoying to pack. Its still on my mind though. Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:37 PM

Have bought and sold Mod 70's and can tell you that they are all over the board as far as models-prices and yours cannot be given a fair price point without a picture, yr. of mfg, and overall condition. The Model 70's being manufactured out of Columbia,S.C. by FN are IMO some of the finest ever produced. The older ones out of New Haven plant are some of the finest production firearms made and just get us some close up shots and maby test fire for some groups will go a long ways in helping you make a honest decision of its value. Heck, it may be most beautiful thing you have ever seen, but when you fired it and the holes were all over whatever, well, you know the rest.