www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 PM

Sounds good. Hope they tell you details.

I know the feeling about the weather....the rain pretty much stopped but the winds have been terrible the past two days. No sense trying to check zero on a 17 Hornet with those conditions....

Heading out to zap some PA Ground Grizzlies in the AM.....hope the wind dies down. Bringing a 243 just incase...but really want to see what the Hornet can do...
Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 AM

I hate to say it guys but someone really wanted my hornet and I let it go. I've ordered a tc venture predator in 204 that will be here on Tuesday. I'm kinda excited bc in all the rifles that I own or have owned, I have never had a 204. Hopefully it will shoot just as good as the hornet did.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 PM

Honestly......for all the searching and suffering I went through to get this Hornet....if I were offered something decent for it I would probably let it go. I was hoping to have the issues fixed. It fed/extracted perfectly at the house after I found the right torque specs (with unfired rounds). Today I take it to the field and the first round I try to feed jacks up!...now, the first shot that I fired through it turned the lights out on a Ghog....but it was tough to extract. Later after another shot the bolt appeared to be stuck closed. The round is very accurate and its always fun to watch the bullet impact and hear the "Thump" with soft shooting rifles.. But I'm really unhappy with the M25's issues.

I really hope a fix comes through before Fox season........
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 PM

I hope they get it fixed too. I'm not sure but I don't think the "cheap" feeling magazine helps the issue at all. Not saying that's what causes mis feeding but I don't think it helps the problem at all. I had mine worked on by my gunsmith and he even said that it was better but still not fixed. With my lightest reloads the extractor wouldn't pull the spent case completely out. It would just leave it laying on the mag. But I had that issue a little less with the factory stuff. I did notice that eabco had tc encore accuracy barrels for the encore in 17 hornet so if I ever get another one then ill prob get that barrel. Good luck! They do shoot sweeeeet!!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:25 PM

Now you have me worried about taking mine out in the morning.
I am going to shoot it even if it is a bit windy just to see if it functions properly.
If it feeds or ejects poorly I will probably think about selling mine too and picking up a Ruger 17 hornet or a 204 like Brimmy.

Post some pics when you get the TC Brimmy. Let us know how you like it.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 PM

I considered getting the ruger after I sold mine but I just don't see it for the price they want. I'll post pics as soon as I get my 204. I think it's supposed to be in on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get the scope mounted and sight it in on Wed. I saw another monster groundhog in one of our pastures on Saturday and I probably could've took him out with the 22-250 or HMR but I decided to let the new 204 do its work in a few days! Lol!

Last edited by brimmyfish; 05-26-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTank70 View Post
Now you have me worried about taking mine out in the morning.
I am going to shoot it even if it is a bit windy just to see if it functions properly.
If it feeds or ejects poorly I will probably think about selling mine too and picking up a Ruger 17 hornet or a 204 like Brimmy.

Post some pics when you get the TC Brimmy. Let us know how you like it.
I think mine is an early production rifle. I heard there were some issues that needed to be worked out, and the newer M25 17Hornets function well. I'm not sure what the issue is....bolt, magazine not aligned with chamber, that goofy "rim/sleeve" that the bullet tip sometimes sticks under, the bolt release pawl, super strong ejector spring, shallow extractor.....sheesh.....it's like trying to guess how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop without that wise old owl around to ask for the answer...

However....to make it more interesting...tonight I cycled an entire box of rounds through with action with the safety on. They fed and extracted perfectly.....very weird.

Hope yours does well. As for the wind it was pretty gusty this morning, didn't really have too much effect at 135 yds. I held at one o'clock on the Ghogs mellon and the bullet struck center.

I agree on the Ruger. Nice rifle but way overpriced.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:29 AM

So do you think it has something to do with the safety? Just curious
Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Anything is possible...I really think it has to do with the bolts rotation and alignment. The bullet tip sometimes gets caught under the chamber sleeve/rim that protrudes. I think the round is pushed "canted" by the bolt (unless the rifle is horizontal) causing the tip to catch. Makes no difference howman rounds or how much pressure is on the magazine spring. The mag follower never sticks or shows signs of feeding rounds inconsistently. With extracting, the case is dragging across "something" that leaves a scratch down the case (although this has been somewhat reduced by putting the proper torque on the action screws). I don't think the case rim is fully grasped by the bolt face which would explain the case sometimes stuck halfway out of the chamber....like it slipped off the extractor claw. The bolt is difficult to lift after firing/no spring pressure. It all leads to the bolt in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Default Savage 25 .17 Hornet Memorial Day Range report

XNAVYORDIE, You might be on to something with the safety?
Not sure, I am no Gunsmith, but one of the things I noticed when my rifle came back from Savage was the safety seemed to operate easier than before along with a much smoother action.

It would seem that I got lucky and got a good tech/smith at Savage because I shot a box of ammo today at the range and experienced no issues at all.

Everything fed smoothly & ejected with authority. The trigger is fantastic and the safety, as I mentioned, worked nicely too.

It was windy (10-15mph variable with higer gusts).
I had to pick my times to pull the trigger when the wind seemed to be a bit better.
It got even more windy as the day passed so I am glad I got up and headed to the range first thing this AM.

After re-dialing the scope (4 shots),
I ended up with under with pretty much 3/8" 3 shot groups at 50 yards the best one was 5/16" two were touching and one was just a hair out from touching.
I only did one 100 yard group because of the wind and pulled off a group of exactly 1" there. Not too bad in those conditions On sandbags, benched, no fancy setup.

One more note I would like to add. My magazines inserted and clicked into place nice and easy.
One of the things I remember from my "old hornet" was that I used to have to really press hard to get the mags to click in and they always felt kind of "spongy?" like you wee forcing something......?? I dunno
......like I said I can tinker a bit but a gunsmith I am not.

JT

Sorry to keep posting, but I just looked over my spent brass from today (I might reload someday?).

The casing are more or less clean....I mean there are a few minor scratches and scrapes here and there ( they are ejected onto a rough concrete slab) but nothing consistent or worth noting.
My cases before sending the rifle in were scratched and dented in the same spots consistantly.

JT

Last edited by JTank70; 05-27-2013 at 08:05 PM.