www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM

Default 17 Hornets "Bitter-Sweet" sting...

Some of you folks know my saga with the 17 Hornet....from the search, the find, the patch SNAFU, etc....

Today I finally got her out to dial in.....I'm fine with the accuracy. Its a very soft shooter but still has enough report to say it has more poop than the rimfire mags....but...

My Savage M25 has a very coarse action. After firing the round it sometimes would not extract the case, and always was difficult to work the bolt back to pop out the spent casing and chamber another. A few times the FTE caused the new round to come off the follower and get wedged under the spent case. It was frustrating. I think this is a bolt/extractor issue or a chamber out of specs and nothing to do with the mag. You really have to work the bolt with authority to prevent FTE's and good feeds.

My 8yo son loved shooting it and was hitting the 200yd gong with ease....but I had to work the bolt for him because of the issues.

I may tear it down or chalk it to look for unusual wear/binding.

Has anyone here experienced similar action issues with their Savage 17 Hornets?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 AM

I have had those exact issues with mine. I polished the feed ramp and actually made mine a little longer. That helped but didn't fix the issue completely. I took it to a gunsmith and they polished everything in the receiver and it functions much better now even when you work the action smooth and slow. Hope this helps
Old 05-18-2013, 04:18 PM

I'm going to contact Savage to see what they recommend. My LGS stated some MOD 25 rifles had production bugs regarding heavy bolts and feeding/extracting.

If the bugs can be solved this will be a very sweet little package next season.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:23 AM

Yeah hope they will help you to get it resolved. Let us know what they say.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM

Default .....late thought

I also thought of this....when I replaced the trigger guard I could have put too much torque on the screws. That can have a impact on the MOD 25. That synthetic stock is flimsy and can be stressed easily. One thing I will ask Savage is the proper torque for the screws.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM

i bought a savage 223 last year . an couldent get it to exstacte rite . wouldent pull had to wait a few seconds . that was winchester an some other ammo . then i tryed remington an that solved that proplem . something so simple was my fix .
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ganumber4 View Post
i bought a savage 223 last year . an couldent get it to exstacte rite . wouldent pull had to wait a few seconds . that was winchester an some other ammo . then i tryed remington an that solved that proplem . something so simple was my fix .
As of now only Hornady makes 17 Hornet ammo.....I did loosen the screws a bit and it chambers and extracts well with unfired rounds....I also examined the spent cases and found that each one had a scratch down the side. I really think it was the screws being over torqued. Savage states that all Mod25 centerfires w/synthetic stocks take 30-35 inch pounds. I need a new torque wrench it turns out....new one inbound.....

Cant wait to see if it extracts fired cases better.....it sure feeds better.

If not.....the search will start again.....for a Ruger.......LOL
Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 PM

I just got mine back from savage yesterday. It was having feed and ejection issues too.
My cases were also scratched up some and even dented a tad sometimes. ( I have a post or two with pics in here someplace)

I will not be able to shoot her until this weekend but the action feels much smoother and not as "clunky" as before, and it is feeding and ejecting live rounds fine here at home just fine.
But, it fed and ejected fine at home before too. Mine only seemed to act up while firing.

The paper they sent me said that they did a repair (no further description)& de-burred the bolt and action, headspace-Good, complete clean and check, function and fire testing-passed. I got the rifle back 10 days from their receiving it. Pretty quick I thought. Savage's service seems to be good at least.

We will see if it passes my "function and fire" test this weekend. I really want it to because it is a very accurate little rifle.

Thanks for the tip on over torquing the stock.

JT
Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 PM

JTank70 - Great to hear Savage was quick to fix the problem. I really hope I don't need to send it out. Too bad the description of repair was not more detailed. I'm sure there is a liability somehow someway to say what was wrong.

Let us know how it functions at the range.

Another tip about the action screws is that Savage states NOT to remove the middle screw when separating the action from the stock....which I did prior to knowing that.....hmmmmm, makes me wonder...
Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 PM

I will let you know how it goes. If ever stops raining that is!
Looks like it will be monday before the rain lets up and I will have time to go to the Range.

I wonder if I call them if they will give me any details on what exactly they repaired? I will try that on Tuesday and see what they tell me.

Hope everyone's weekend is going good.
Be safe

JT