www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 PM

Just ordered my 25 WV in 17 hornet. It has a 22 in barrel instead of the 24 inch barrel that your LW Varminter has, but I think that will be better suited for me. The shorter barrel in combination with the synthetic stock will work great for me because this rifle will replace my 17 hmr, riding in my truck everyday. I will hopefully be able to have sub MOA groups with this rifle at 100 yards. I pretty much didnt want to pay the extra money for the longer barrel and super nice stock, for something that will be riding in my truck, possibly getting beat around with other things in my cab. What kind of prices have you found on the ammo? And has anyone heard about the accuracy of this WV? I have read numerous reviews about the lightweight varminter shooting sub 1/2 MOA groups, but nothing really on this model.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Make sure you post pictures of it when it arrives.

The cheapest I've seen ammo is $16.18 a box from Cheaper Than Dirt but then you have to add shipping.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Guy's what kind of prices are you talking for these rifles? I see Cabela's has the Savage Mod 25 Walking Varminter for $499.99.
CSB
Old 10-20-2012, 12:13 AM

I will be sure to post pics when it arrives. I have bought some ammo for this rifle for around 15 bucks but I am lucky enough to be able to buy wholesale. I would love to see rcbs start making a neck sizing die for this caliber, it seems like it would make loading a lot easier on me and the brass. I ordered my rifle off of gunbroker.com for $469 and it was 35 bucks for shipping.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM

I think you made an excellent choice. It won't be long before die manufactures catch up. You could use a Redding 17AH neck die or bushing die. I to will be interested in your reports and I did see where someone on another predator site is selling 22gr. Berger 17 caliber bullets. Might be a good one for the Hornet.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:27 PM

I just checked the tracking number and it is supposed to be here Tuesday. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot it some and get back with a report within a few days after. I'll keep y'all posted when it arrives.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 AM

17 hornet came in this week but I've worked late everyday but one this past week. I will post pics maybe tomorrow but this rifle shoots extremely well. After breaking in the barrel I put out a 1/2 inch 3 shot group at 100 yds and then a 5/8 inch 3 shot group at the same distance. It is really exceeding my expectations to say the least. Hopefully I'll have time to post pics tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 AM

How's the noise level?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
How's the noise level?
You need to talk louder, I don't think he heard you.

Last edited by K22; 10-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:12 AM

The noise level is very close to my 17 HMR, very quiet when compared to my 223. Here are some pics of my new favorite rifle. I never would have imagined how much I would really enjoy shooting this rifle. I have shot numerous 22 hornets but they just didnt capture my attention like this little cartridge did.

Hornady Superformance 20 gr. V-max ammo

Here are two 3 shot groups that I fired while making final adjustments to my scope

Here is a pic of the magazine in the Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter

Another 3 shot group

4-16x56mm Millett Scope with 30 mm tube- I also have a 6-25x56mm on my 22-250. Pretty good optics for the money in my opinion

Another pic from the side