www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 AM

Default 17 hornet

I read the other post about this cartridge and was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this cartridge. It look pretty sweet but I just wanted others opinions. Also does anyone know when and where I might would be able to buy one savage 25 17 hornets? I've called dicks sporting goods and every local gun shop with no luck.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM

I have no actual experience with the .17 hornet. I'm just playing arm chair quarterback.

Hornady's advertising really pushes the inexpensiveness, low recoil and a trajectory close to a 55 grain .223. Since they compare it to the .223 I'll focus on that comparison.

1. It's about $.75 a shot which is about $.10 less than a comparable .223 Hornady brand 40 or 55 grain V-max so I'll give them something there if you stick within the Hornady brand. But, compare it to other or off brands and you can get the same V-max bullets in .223 for about $.50 a shot.

2. I don't think anyone will ever admit in public that the recoil of a .223 bothers them so do you really need a cartridge that kicks even less?

3. The hornet's bullet drop is nearly identical to a 55g .223 but compare it to a 40 grain V-max out of a .223 and it looses out. Anyone care to look up wind drifts?

So, I think Hornady's three major selling points are mostly advertising fluff. I suppose the .17 hornet would be good at shorter ranges if you want extra assurance that the bullet will not exit, but the 40 grain V-max .223 also does a good job of going "poof" and not exiting.

If you really want a .17 hornet I can't blame you and I think it would be a fun gun but that's where it ends for me. I think the .223 is better for my needs and I already own .17 hmr's and .223's so I can't justify the money for a new rifle, in a caliber supported by only one ammo manufacturer, that tries to squeeze into the narrow capability gap between my .17 hmr and .223.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 AM

You make some great points I just think it would be a fun rifle and cartridge to have. After I bought a couple of boxes of ammo I would start reloading for it. I figured it up that it would only cost me about 20 cents a rd to reload ( not including the brass). Another thing that catches my eye about this rifle is that I was hoping it would be a little quieter than the 223. I already have a 17 hmr, 223 stag AR, 22250 tc encore, and I just found it interesting how much they can get out of that little cartridge.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 AM

One of the big things I like about the .17 hmr is that it's quieter. I just did a quick search and several people have commented that it is much quieter than the .223 while louder than a .22lr which I suppose is to be expected.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 AM

The 17 Hornet is very much like the wildcat 17 AH. The nice thing about Hornady's version is the availability of commercial brass. No fireforming required like there is with the 17AH. A 17 AH (Ackley Hornet) is darn near the most perfect Bobcat/Fox Fur Friendly round. Way, way better than a 223 with any flavor of bullets if you are talking "lets save pelts".
As for recoil? Why loose your sight picture with a sporter weight 223 if you don't have to. Neither of my very light Kimber Montana's cause me to loose my sight picture and that's with pushing the bullets to 4000fps.
I have several 223's that I like, but none of the 3 hold a candle to my 17 Rem. or 204 when it comes to lightning speed with almost zero recoil. And as I think about it, I've had more runners with my 223's and 222's than I've had with a 17 Rem. and a 204. The 223 does allow me to keep my sewing abilities up to snuff though.

A 17 HH is on my list of calibers to get, but I'm not very fond of the action Savage built theirs on. I'll wait for one of the other manufactures to produce one. It appears that fur is on its way back up (slowly I admit, but still going up), so a fur friendly round for Bobcats and Fox is a plus in my book and one that will still anchor Coyotes. What is not to like about that.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 PM

Another thing that I noticed when researching reloading dies for the 17 hornet is that hornady is the only company that is currently making dies for this caliber (which is expected). However, the dies that they are offering are full length sizing only, with no choice to buy neck sizing dies. So I may be waiting a while before I buy dies. Also does anyone have any experience in how loud the hornet calibers are? Either 22 or 17? I understand it probably wont be as quiet as my HMR but would it be as loud as my 223?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 AM

It will be slightly louder than your 17HMR, but a lot less than your 223. You should be able to buy a Redding bushing die and just neck size.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM

To neck size why don't you just back off the FL die. That works just fine for me. The Hornady dies are very good and not too high priced.

As for another rifle, what is not to like? Three locking lugs, floating bolt head, barrel nut and a four round mag. Plus mine shoots under 1/2moa.

Fire formed brass from WW brass and AA1680 are giving me an average vel. of 3792fps with 20gr varmit extrem bullets.

Cabale's has the walking varmiter mod.

Mark
Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 PM

mcho are you talking about the model 25 wv in 17 hornet shooting 1/2 MOA? I also just checked with Cabelas and they do have the 25 WV, but its not available online, and the closest one to me is probably 5 or 6 hrs away.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimmyfish View Post
mcho are you talking about the model 25 wv in 17 hornet shooting 1/2 MOA? I also just checked with Cabelas and they do have the 25 WV, but its not available online, and the closest one to me is probably 5 or 6 hrs away.
No! The one I have is the LV. I had to drive 600Mi. round trip to get it. They are hard to come by, but I am very happy with it. Mark