www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Default accuracy problem

Was out calling coyotes friday, had a coyote a little over 50 yards out, put crosshairs behind the shoulder, pull the trigger, no hit. took 3 more shots at another coyote, same distance, same aim point, no hit. Couple minutes later, another coyote rolls in, same distance, same aim point, dropped it where it stood. Figured for sure the gun/scope had been bumped off zero at some point. Saturday, took gun and bench rest out to see for sure. took 3 shots at 50, all 3+ inches high. ok makes sense, adjust scope accordingly. next 2 shots were 2-3 inches low. adjust again, boom dead center at 50. Look at my scope and it was back at my original zero before even shooting. like for some reason my first 4 shots the past few days were all high and for some reason my 5th was back to dead on again. Does anyone have any idea of why? Heres my set up Christensen arms Recon - Vortex Viper 4-16x-50 - AAC 5.56SD suppressor - hornady 55 grain SP
Old 01-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55grainslinger View Post
Was out calling coyotes friday, had a coyote a little over 50 yards out, put crosshairs behind the shoulder, pull the trigger, no hit. took 3 more shots at another coyote, same distance, same aim point, no hit. Couple minutes later, another coyote rolls in, same distance, same aim point, dropped it where it stood. Figured for sure the gun/scope had been bumped off zero at some point. Saturday, took gun and bench rest out to see for sure. took 3 shots at 50, all 3+ inches high. ok makes sense, adjust scope accordingly. next 2 shots were 2-3 inches low. adjust again, boom dead center at 50. Look at my scope and it was back at my original zero before even shooting. like for some reason my first 4 shots the past few days were all high and for some reason my 5th was back to dead on again. Does anyone have any idea of why? Heres my set up Christensen arms Recon - Vortex Viper 4-16x-50 - AAC 5.56SD suppressor - hornady 55 grain SP
sounds like your scope needs to go visit the vortex repair man // they have a excellant repair/replacement warranty service // i have sent them from here and had them returned within 3 weeks replaced with a new scope OR possably a little bit of Buck Fever. It happens to all of us at some point in our hunting / shooting trips

Last edited by 2manyguns; 01-08-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:48 PM

I've been running into same problem with 2 different guns. Like first couple shots are off and then after that it zeros itself back to dead on.

Did you oil/spray/clean the gun in between shooting? I think I'm running into getting oil down the barrel and it's throwing off 1-2-3 shots until it cleans out?

Notice it mainly when I go groundhog hunting. Almost a guarantee I'm going to miss the first one. Even at 50 and feel I didn't pull the shot. Rest of day I'm deadly to 300.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:24 PM

@2manyguns. I wouldn't be afraid to say being off target was due to "buck fever" but after I shot it again in the bench rest, and had the same results. @manners, no I didn't clean it in between. the gun is piston driven, so I stay away from running it real "wet" however, running suppressed does throw a lot of gas back down the barrel so its never clean for long. It was around 5 degrees both days, so I'm wondering if the barrel heating up a little has anything to do with it. Its a carbon fiber wrapped steel barrel, so idk. Everything ive read says colder temps = more bullet drop. But my problem is completely opposite.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:36 PM

Barrel temperature can and usually does affect POI. After your rifle is sighted in shoot it again with a cold barrel to see where your shots will land under hunting conditions. When sighting in we sometimes shoot a number of rounds and the barrel gets warm. Once we are hitting where we want the barrel is warmer than it will ever be under hunting conditions. When hunting our first shot is from a cold barrel. That shot is likely to hit a different spot than when the barrel was warm or hot. Another thing to keep in mind is where your bullet will land out of a clean barrel vs a fouled barrel. ALWAYS wipe the oil from your barrel and pay particular attention to the chamber before you sight in or hunt. What I do is take my rifle out after it is sighted in. I haven't cleaned the barrel since sighting it in. I double check the zero to be sure of where my bullet will impact. I don't clean or oil the barrel until after my season has ended. The following year I will recheck POI and I'm usually good to go. Every now and then during the season I may take one shot on a target to verify that my rifle is still "on".
Old 01-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Ive accounted for that and checked. Could be his issue in semi especially. I still always miss the first shot mainly. Barrel doesn't get oiled until fishing season. Will run bore snake thru every 15 shots or so during season.

Noticed it's mainly matte finish guns that I have to oil every 3 days or they rust, including weather shield aka gray matte, not a fan. Like oil gets down barrel from constant attention due to rusting. Fire one shot and all is fine.

Last edited by Manners711; 01-08-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:16 PM

Suppersor trapping to much heat in cold weather causing tiny amounts of condensation throwing shot off?
Old 01-08-2017, 05:21 PM

Check the scope rings and base screws for tightness. I have learned the hard way that it doesn't always get done right at the store.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:17 PM

A lot of good info here; but I will add my 2 cents worth....In the past couple of years I have had two or three scopes (different brands) with the same problems; the springs they used for the elevation and windage dials had become weak, making the adjustments inconsistent and moving POI some upon recoil....Very frustrating but taken care of by manufacturers lifetime warrantees....Good luck with your issues....
Old 01-08-2017, 10:47 PM

Scope rings and screws are tight. The scope itself is less than a year old with roughly 200-250 rounds through the gun. I guess I failed to mention earlier that the windage is holding true. Just the elevation of the shot is off...Makes me lean toward an internal scope issue...I remember initially sighting it in, its on the "top" end of the elevation scope adjustments, as in about one full turn from topping out of adjustment, thought at the time that was a little weird.