www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:25 PM

Default ar suggestions

i am in the process of getting a list together for a DEDICATED night hunting coyote rifle.i have rifles and shotguns but i have never had ANY experience with a AR rifle.My other rifles are dedicated deer rifles.My question is what brand AR and what features are needed.i already have the thermal for this gun.i was looking at rock river but i dont know.i live in virginia and most shots will be under 150 yards with 250 probably tops.will the sound suppresser fit where the muzzle flash goes on these rifles.what i want to end up with is:
1.AR rifle
2.thermal on this rifle
3.sound suppressor
i have the thermal already.i dont want lights etc lasers on this as the thermal will do all i need
thanks
willie
Old 01-26-2015, 04:27 PM

My suggestion is to snap one together yourself....what better way to become familiar with your rifle? Prices for parts are very low right now. Building it yourself means you get what you want.....not buying factory and stripping/adding your preferences. It's fun stuff...

For your needs any stripped A3 receiver will work. Bushy's are on sale now for $49.99 ......jus say'n.

I picked up one for my 10yo to build up as his first. He selected the DPMS CAR barrel also on sale. I had re-configured one a few weeks ago for him to use G'Hog hunting....then he got the itch to build one himself..; )
Old 01-26-2015, 05:54 PM

my nighttime AR is probably overkill, but I bought a Colt LE6940 due to the extended one-piece monolithic upper receiver to give me plenty of room to mount my goodies. but I have a D760 along with a DBAL-I2 laser on the top, a Torch Pro on the left side and a GripPod on the bottom of the rail. with a thermal scope you won't need all that rail space. but another thing I like about this rifle is the 1:7 inch twist. it loves 75 gr ammo which is all I shoot in it. took down a yote at 170 yards last weekend with it. I am about to buy a Flir RS64 35mm to see how I like a thermal scope but I will try it first on a cheaper AR but will probably have to use 55 gr ammo since it is a 1:9 inch twist. as stated above you don't need a fancy AR for a thermal scope IMO as long as it shoots straight.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurshot View Post
my nighttime AR is probably overkill, but I bought a Colt LE6940 due to the extended one-piece monolithic upper receiver to give me plenty of room to mount my goodies. but I have a D760 along with a DBAL-I2 laser on the top, a Torch Pro on the left side and a GripPod on the bottom of the rail. with a thermal scope you won't need all that rail space. but another thing I like about this rifle is the 1:7 inch twist. it loves 75 gr ammo which is all I shoot in it. took down a yote at 170 yards last weekend with it. I am about to buy a Flir RS64 35mm to see how I like a thermal scope but I will try it first on a cheaper AR but will probably have to use 55 gr ammo since it is a 1:9 inch twist. as stated above you don't need a fancy AR for a thermal scope IMO as long as it shoots straight.
Sounds like it's straight out of my kids X-Box games...; )......which he was thinking when he was choosing his build parts...I "guided" the boy to a more traditional build that was easier on the wallet...; )
Old 01-26-2015, 07:30 PM

seems like none of my rifles are easy on the wallet... you should see my daytime AR
Old 01-26-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurshot View Post
seems like none of my rifles are easy on the wallet... you should see my daytime AR
Yeah.....the base platform is relatively inexpensive....but so many options....and once the quad rails hit the market it opened a pandoras box to mankinds wallets....the AR became the rich man's 1022....; )
Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 AM

So true... my daytime AR proves your point...

Vltor VIS-3 rifle length polylithic upper
Seekins billet lower with teflon coated lower parts kit
Lilja AR .223 8T 17" fluted stainless barrel
nickel boron BCG
Geissele trigger
Magpul ACS-l stock
sling attachments
H2 buffer
AAC suppressor QD mount
adjustable gas block
enhanced charging handle
Burris AR-P.E.P.R. QD 1" Scope Mount
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm scope
AAC M4-2000 Suppressor

Old 01-27-2015, 06:58 AM

All the bling bling on that rifle and yet it has just a stock A2 grip......; )
Old 01-27-2015, 12:19 PM

I was broke by the time I got to the grip...
Old 01-27-2015, 02:42 PM

ok i see all the options but i am going to buy a complete ar (not going to build one) so what are your recommendations:
1. what twist for 223
2. what brand ar
3. if you unscrew the muzzle brake will a sound suppressor just screw on in it place? are they a certain thread pattern on both (standard)
4. i do want 2 stage triggers
5. what length barrel?
thanks
willie
i am just going to put a thermal and sound suppressor on this rifle (nothing else).