www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM

Default So.....

being new to this coyote/fox stuff, i have some questions..

first my state laws
night hunting
NO CENTERFIRES
only rimfire or shotguns (no buck shot or slugs)

day time i can use centerfire...

so with that being said, i have several .22LR a .22Mag and a .17HMR

now finding 22Mag Ammo here is mission impossible.. my next option is the 17HMR, it's dime size 5 shot group accurate at 100yds with the 20gr Hp.. does the .17HMR have the ability to get it done out to 100yds, obviously with a cranium shot yes....BUT

im not real keen at using birdshot on coyotes, i do have an appropriate 3" mag gun, and my question is this at what point is shot size not considered buckshot??
can i use T or F and be legal, this last couple of question would probably require a call to my Agent..

i just wanted to paint somewhat of a complete picture of the restrictions we are under here in Michigan, and then try to find an appropriate way to get after them when the sky darkens
Old 01-16-2015, 10:52 AM

Default Wait for it.....

Getting my popcorn and beverage of choice ready to watch this thread....; )

"I can shoot a 17HMR through a fox/yotes eye at 999.1/8th yards and he is DRT"

If you search a little you will find some interesting if not very entertaining answers to your question....; )
Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNAVYORDIE View Post
Getting my popcorn and beverage of choice ready to watch this thread....; )

"I can shoot a 17HMR through a fox/yotes eye at 999.1/8th yards and he is DRT"

If you search a little you will find some interesting if not very entertaining answers to your question....; )
sorry, it's not me restricting me it's state laws, however ignorant they are i need to abide by them, i didn't even think to search this topic, i'll get right after it.. but before i do, i have another question, whats the sense of having a forum?? to post topic or search things out
Old 01-16-2015, 02:11 PM

watching......
Old 01-16-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
sorry, it's not me restricting me it's state laws, however ignorant they are i need to abide by them, i didn't even think to search this topic, i'll get right after it.. but before i do, i have another question, whats the sense of having a forum?? to post topic or search things out

Well....the sense of having a forum is for like minded folks to discuss and share knowledge by posting topics of interest and participating in threads...that way there is a plethora of information at your disposal.....which sits idle and unused if folks don't search it out by either browsing certain threads or using that search function that is available to make it easier....; )

so, before you ask the BIG question of "what light is better"......search, browse, or PM Karoo...; )

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-16-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Had to use search for information on searching information
Old 01-16-2015, 03:57 PM

F shot measures .22. Number 4 buck is .24. I "think" that is the breaking point between shot and buck shot. BB,BBB, T & F are probably okay as far as the law goes. Personally, I'd use anything from BB to F as long as it patterned well. Of course penetration comes into play and you'd want to limit your shots to a range where you get adequate penetration.

As far as the rim-fire calibers you have I "might" consider the 22 Mag due to better/heavier bullets than the 17 HMR.

Personally, if I were you I would use the shotgun day and night. Find the best load between BB & F shot. The idea of calling predators is to get them close. Your 22 Mag or the 12 gauge should both be good to 50 yards or so. The 22 Mag might have a bit more range, but you'll probably lose more animals due to them running off. You'll lay more animals low on the spot with the shotgun.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:11 PM

Default Hey!

Come on now Weasel.....you are not supposed to be so realistic and document truthful data like that......you are crushing our hopes of an entertaining thread....dang, guess I will go hunt tonight instead of thread watching....; )

OK....Weasel doesn't count since he is here to keep us all in line and on good behavior.....; )

just kidding.....Weasel's response should be a "sticky" since it make sense and I bet he has typed it out about 12 times in the last year...; )
Old 01-16-2015, 04:16 PM

Hey YOU! These "entertaining" threads often turn into big dust ups that I have to try and fix. I could see this one heading south real quick and figured I'd best turn it before it got to the border. Besides, hunting is MUCH BETTER than thread watching. More exciting too! So good luck and don't forget the camera.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Hey YOU! These "entertaining" threads often turn into big dust ups that I have to try and fix. I could see this one heading south real quick and figured I'd best turn it before it got to the border. Besides, hunting is MUCH BETTER than thread watching. More exciting too! So good luck and don't forget the camera.
OK OK....I will throttle back Sir...just poken some good natured fun...as usual..; )

Hope the camera doesn't freeze on me.......; )
Old 01-16-2015, 04:23 PM

Hahaha...I'm pretty sure I have you figured out as a fun loving guy. KEEP THAT CAMERA WARM!!!