www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM

Default 5.56 vs 223

Here is a question I think I know the answer to already but with exnavyordie a forum member or others that might know I want to make sure....
I understand that you can fire 223 ammo out of an AR chambered for 5.56 however you CAN NOT Safely FIRE 5.56 ammo out of an AR chambered for 223 because of the higher pressures created by the 5.56.....
Reason I ask is because this year and soon I am adding to the rifle collection. and want to make sure some of this surplus Military ammo won't be a problem down the road
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails
Browning A Bolt 30-06 tack driver
Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings
Old 12-31-2014, 12:26 PM

You are correct.
The 223 caliber is a 5.56mm round that can be fired safely
in a 223 chamber and a 5.56 NATO chamber.
The NATO 5.56mm is also a 223 caliber... but due to slight differences
in case design it is UNSAFE to fire in anything other than a rifle
stamped 5.56 NATO.
To be sure you're safe... purchase the AR stamped 5.56 NATO.
This will allow you to shoot standard 223 or the 5.56 NATO (military) rounds.

Last edited by DogFool; 12-31-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added sentence
Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM

I think a guy needs to be careful there. I have a Sav. 10 PC in .223 that I have seen in a couple of places on the internet with wording of .223/5.56. I don't know if these folks are catching that, or just don't care. According to what I've heard, Savage says it's only good for .223. I expect there might be several instances of that going on.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:26 PM

Thanks I was pretty sure that was the way it was but wanted to ask someone that was more familiar with that specifically. Additional question has come up.
Is a 1 in 9 twist rate a good rate for stabilization of both the 223 and 5.56 in a 20 inch barrel? I realize that some factors will be the bullet weight for best stabilization and most accurate performance. Specifically looking at the Stag Model 4L
Old 12-31-2014, 08:47 PM

Doc-Yes it is not wise to fire 5.56 in 223 Rem chambers......of course you can fire both from 223 Wylde chambers. The case of a 5.56 (especially GI Surplus) has thicker walls to handle the higher CUP pressure........check out SAMMI specs and you will see the difference. Now, many internet jockeys will swear they fire 5.56 thru 223 chambers excessively without issue.....eventually they will see issues, maybe they won't depending on the rifle. Some manufacturers are making more forgiving chambers.

As for twist the commercial favorite for 223 Rem is the 1-9 to stabilize a variety of bullet weights.....1-7 or 1-8 is the GI twist mostly encountered to handle the heavier rounds. A few moons back in the sandbox Black Hills was supplying 75gr Match bullets to enhance the effective kill range of the M16A4 rifles....if I were to shoot 223 Rem or 5.56 in F Class comp I would love to have a custom heavy in 1-7 for the heavy VLDs.

With all that said back in the day at the end of every fiscal year commands were dumping ammo on us at will so they could requisition and be allocated the same amount or more for the new year......so my POV often was doing wheelies on the way home loaded down with ammo. Spent hours pulling the GI pill from 5.56 cases and replacing with Nosler Ballistic Tips......they were killer on those Cali ground squirrels....rifle was a Ruger No. 1 Varminter...never an issue....but I would not dare shoot them through my Bolts.

Stags are decent....I built up a Stag lower a couple years ago.....to throw a wrench in things.....have you considered a 204 chambered AR platform....thats my next project I think....you can buy complete uppers from White Oak, DPMS (to name a couple), or peice it together yourself....; )

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 12-31-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:40 PM

Everyone has stated the answer in this thread. If I had a choice in barrel twists and was going to hunt with it, I would look into a .223 Wylde with a 1:8 twist. It will allow you to shoot 50gr to 75gr bullets without issue. As with any rifle, it will probably have a favorite bluet weight that shoots the best.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:02 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies.. :-)
Ex navy can verify that those of us that were in the medical field didn't get much hands on ordinance exposure especially when we got out in 90 hell our only weapon was the 1911A1, the 16 was still considered an offensive weapon and we weren't allowed to carry So' I'll be the first to admit I'm a little behind the curve in the AR platform But I do know that when I did get the opportunity to fire the 16 I HATED all the dayum brass almost hitting me in the face being left handed, so when I saw Stag makes a lefty that is one of the selling points I'm putting at the top of the list of advantages

Last edited by Jingles; 01-01-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
But I do know that when I did get the opportunity to fire the 16 I HATED all the dayum brass almost hitting me in the face being left handed, so when I saw Stag makes a lefty that is one of the selling points I'm putting at the top of the list of advantages
Sound wisdom, and it looks as though this company can build 'em and they are accurate so good luck with whatever you decide. I like the model six myself.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:50 AM

Lefty, shooting a right hand AR. No problems. If it wasn't for the brass deflector, I would have a different story to tell.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
Ex navy can verify that those of us that were in the medical field didn't get much hands on ordinance exposure especially when we got out in 90 hell our only weapon was the 1911A1, the 16 was still considered an offensive weapon and we weren't allowed to carry So' I'll be the first to admit I'm a little behind the curve in the AR platform But I do know that when I did get the opportunity to fire the 16 I HATED all the dayum brass almost hitting me in the face being left handed, so when I saw Stag makes a lefty that is one of the selling points I'm putting at the top of the list of advantages
Corpsman were good luck charms...we always took care of them, got them anything they wanted. Always had thier backs since it was them that would be patching you up, and saving your six in not so nice conditions. I'm a big guy....I was injured working with EOD Mobile Unit 3....two Corpsman humped my six out of a creek bed and up an incredibly steep hill/rough terrain to a clearing where a helo could touchdown.....God Bless the Corpsman.

With that said....when I was a SAMI we had difficulty instructing the majority of lefties on the M16 and M14. Not specifically a shell ejection issue but the control manipulation aspect. But we always got them qualed and sent back to thier command with atleast a "watch stander certification" or naked ribbon (no "S" or "E" designation).

By the way...Corpsman assigned to range ops when I was on duty could shoot anything thier hearts desired and for as long as they wanted.....; )...too bad we didn't cross paths Doc!