www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:16 AM

Default Late season Elk

Cold today and when I arrived at my planned elk hunting area, I didn't expect 30-40 mile per hour winds but that is what I got....After spotting around a dozen elk bedded down 800 + yards away, I planned my stalk. It took two hours to get into position, On my first try, I rounded the hill and found myself 400 yards below them still; so I backed out and climbed further and came out just below them while knee crawling to the edge for a shot at 180 yards. I was almost blown off the mountain several times while fighting the wind....Seriously steep and slippery. I laid my backpack down in front of me and steadied my rifle across it while I was in prone position....I couldn't have placed the shot better.
Well, I thought it was going to be easier than it was to get this animal out and into the truck but I earned every morsel...Both hands ended up with a slight case of frostbite and I can't hold them under warm water for long because of the pain....it was 10 degrees when I got home around 5:30 this evening....
I put in for this late season cow tag because I wanted to have time to heal up from a planned surgery in June; as it turns out the Obama careless act had compromised my Medi-Care to the point of being denied....Need less to say I am going to pay a high physical price for this elk but we needed the meat and I am so thankful that we were blessed with success, oh my aching neck and low back.....ouch ouch and ouch.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img0[75].jpg (50.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg img0[77].jpg (52.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg img0[79].jpg (55.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:40 AM

Elk are always work, but worth it in most cases. I hope your hands heal up soon.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:34 AM

Thank you weasel; they are still sensitive to warmth and the nerve damage in my right hand makes it more susceptible to freezing; I have such physical problems it makes it hard to do what I used to do all the time; but I do what I can, and many times such as this one; I pay dearly....I have been praising the Lord for having a warm basement to cut and wrap this elk up away from the cold we are experiencing here....This morning it is 9 degree but with 15 mi. winds it feels like -7 according to the tv....
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 PM

Sounds like a great but tough hunt. You should be proud of yourself for pushing through the pain and bringing the prize home. Congrats and take care of yourself.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:36 PM

Thank you tberry; my hands have improved today but my lower back is about to give out and I just about go to my knees when I try to straighten up....it will take time but this fine meat was worth it....Thank you for the well wishes...