www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:18 PM

Default Bowhunting predators

Hey gang

My name is Donnie and Im from Southwest Virginia.

I never really gave predator hunting a thought until an evening deer hunt the other day. I was packing my gear away on my stand at dark and heard something coming through the woods. I could tell it wasn't a deer so I paid extra attention. It comes out of the thicket about 30 yards from me and I see it was a big fox (grey I'm sure). I made some kissing sounds and got him 10 yards from the base of my tree. As he was walking/trotting....I drew my bow back and then made another kissing noise to stop him. He stopped but it was too dark to shoot. He then spotted me and took offf. Anyway, here I am. Im ready to bowhunt some predators and I have a few questions.

I have some hand calls on order to start my adventure. I'll eventually get an e-caller but I wanna try this method first.

1. I'm thinking a decoy (feathers on a stick) is probably a must to get these guys in bowrange? These guys referring to foxes, bobcats, and coyotes.

2. When they get in sight, Im assuming I should let the decoy do the work? I have a squeaker on the way so I guess that will coax them in too, if needed?

Thats really all I can think of right now. Any other tips? I'm gonna still treat these animals as deer and hunt the wind, be scent free, etc. I also want to try to call a bear in while rifle hunting but thats another topic for another day.

Thanks

Last edited by Finch; 11-22-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 PM

Default So cal bow man

Just started bow hunting coyotes in my area so cal no lead.Use an e-call if legal and place it neer the decoy also find out when breeding season is in your area.Coyote decoys and coyote in heat smells do wounders.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Hey Donnie,
I'm from over in Halifax, VA. Where are you in VA?

Take care,

Jonah
www.RiverBottomOutdoors.com