www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Default Energy to "Humanly" Kill a Coyote.....info needed

I am looking for some factual information for the "Humane/Ethical" "Harvest" of coyotes. And here is the reason..
My home state. "MA" only allows the use of .22lr for Coyote hunting at night. Which personally, I know you can kill a coyote with. But I would like to write to the state and try to get the laws changed to a more "Humane/Ethical Harvest". Thus giving sportsman a better range of calibers to use. My project caliber change would be "Up to and including .22 center fire rifle". That would also include the many .17cal center fire wildcats, .204 ruger etc.
Now I know a lot of it is, shot placement, energy, bullet construction, distance, speed, etc etc etc.....
Does anyone has any factual information that could be of help??
Need information that shows you need more then what a .22lr can deliver..
Questions, comment and ideas, greatly appreciated.
Kevin

FoxPro Scorpion X1B
Jack-Attack
Ruger M77/22 22 Hornet, Nikon 4.5-14 x40 SF
Ruger M77/Mk2 204 Ruger, Pentax 4-12 x 40
Savage 840 .222 Rem, Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12 x40 AO
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM

You might get some info and help from some of the bullet manufactures. I don't know my self but they might.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 PM

You might consider including shot guns.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:01 PM

I would rather see you hunt at night with a shotgun instead of a rifle.Sorry to say that but as we all know only 90 percent of the guy's hunting have common sense the other ten percent should be forced to use a paintball gun.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM

One thing I am not sure on is the use of shotguns at night. The law (pasted below) doesn't state that they can NOT be used at night, only that you can't use shot larger then FF. So I am guessing that they are legal to use. Going to try to contact someone from the Fish and Game dept. to verify.
I agree with you NSHunter, unfortunately the laws are written for those 10%.

Of course the way the law reads, it is ok to use a .17HMR at night.

• Rifles chambered to take ammunition larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire,and pistols and revolvers chambered to take ammunition larger than .38 caliber, between the hours of hour after sunset and hour before sunrise.

• Shotgun ammunition: except as provided below, no species other than deer, coyote, or waterfowl may be hunted or taken with shot larger than #1 birdshot. Except during the prescribed open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, a person shall not have in his possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, or any shot larger than or equal to air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals may be found except on a skeet, trap, or target range between sunrise and sunset, or except for the hunting of coyotes (a) during the prescribed open season for coyotes with shot not larger than FF; or (b) during the shotgun deer season when coyotes may be hunted with archery or shotgun only—using slugs, buckshot, or shot of any size; or, except as specified in the annual Migratory Game Bird Hunting Regulations

Thanks for the input,
Kevin

FoxPro Scorpion X1B
Jack-Attack
Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 AM

As normal, they have to write laws so darn confusing that the true sportsman can't understand what he or she can or can't do. Triple B loads or BB loads in lead shot are also great loads for a coyote with the scatter gun, dead coyote loads work well. I would agree with NShunter, I trust myself and my hunting partner to use a larger caliber rifle at night,(which is legal in Illinois, certain times of year) but no other guests use anything but shotguns at our stand locations during night sets. I would most likely contact my local game warden to help you understand the laws correctly.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:32 PM

I agree with you callin yotes, I hunt in my state of MA, and also in Vermont. Vermont you can use whatever whenever, just no lights.. thanks for the input...

FoxPro Scorpion X1B
Jack-Attack
Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 PM

I would ask a game warden, but the way you wrote it up, I would say any 17 caliber or 20 caliber should be legal, if it has to be a rimfire, I would use a 5mm mag
Old 03-21-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzhandler View Post
I would ask a game warden, but the way you wrote it up, I would say any 17 caliber or 20 caliber should be legal, if it has to be a rimfire, I would use a 5mm mag
Yes it has to be a rimfire for night hunting. The .17hmr would be the loophold for the .22lr restriction. I have not heard of the 5mm mag. rimfire. I did look it up though, are they still being made?

FoxPro Scorpion X1B
Jack-Attack
Old 03-23-2011, 05:24 AM

I may get blasted for this but why would you want to kill one humanely when they certainly don't kill their prey very humanely, i've heard they eat deer while they are still alive