www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:53 PM

Volume is something I think you just have to learn what works. I've killed two bobcats in under 5 minutes at full volume (20 on my Wildfire) in a timbered creek bottom. I agree if it echoes or sounds distorted to us it sounds like garbage to a predator. I start low and go up normally but these two worked out. Wind plays a big part where I hunt.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:20 AM

I believe that the terrain and weather should be considered. Cold nights no wind low volume to start, sound carries along way. If it the sound starts echoing thru woods, I think its harder for them to pick the direction in which its coming from. Fog also distorts sound. Wind definitely has an effect on it, higher pitch is better. I try to make it sound natural and not so continuous.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:22 AM

A few years back I, along with several guests over for BBQ and beers on the deck one evening, were treated to a live rabbit kill by a hawk. That was LOUD.....seemed to take forever for that bunny to croak. Just when we thought it had bit the dust, it would start back up. LOUD. When it was finally done a couple of us investigated the murder scene....it was about 50 or yards into the woods, roughly 70 yards from the deck. I could only imagine how loud it was a foot away......I have put my Wildfire and my Fusion in that area and played from the deck.....I can't get it as loud as it was......when I use rabbit distress.....I play as loud as possible trying to mimic that rabbit dying. Seems to work well for me....

Screaming Rabbit is about as close to that live sound I can find.....
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 AM

Now! That's interesting Navy. I wouldn't have thought that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 12:10 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I have heard many real live jackrabbits scream. I've recorded a lot of them for Foxpro. They're loud, but not nearly as loud as a Foxpro. Had one screaming a couple days ago, I couldn't hear it at all, because my hearing is so bad, but my partner Tim said he could hear it clearly from 100 yards away.

I have that issue with the caller too, I have to "go by the numbers" because sometimes I can't hear the caller at all and other times I can't tell how loud it really is. Sometimes, I crank it up to 40 for a few seconds just to make sure it's on.

My thoughts tend to go against the grains of common wisdom on this though. I can't prove it, I'm not even that sure I'm right, but I think most of the time, more volume, louder, is better. Even on close coyotes. When the Prairie Blaster came out, I spent a whole season just experimenting with using much higher volume than I had in the past. About 50 or 60 dead coyotes later, I had changed my mind about most of the things I had thought I kind of knew, about coyotes coming to a call and how loud it should be.

My usual MO for the last quite a few years, has been start "pretty loud" and ramp up to as loud as I intend to go within the first two minutes or less. The one thing I saw, using extra high volume with the Prairie Blaster, was coyotes that showed up real late. Saw some coming full speed, from a mile out, 12 minutes into the stand. I'm typically not going to be there anymore in 15 minutes or even less. So I go as loud as I'm gonna, almost right off the bat, as I don't want to wait until 5 or 6 minutes before I'll be leaving to crank it up and get one started from a longs ways out.

Except... Just this season, on Bob's advice, I have been trying his method of blasting pup distress at full volume for a few minutes to end the stand. It has broke a few loose, or triggered previously un-committed animals into committing. Which, I think gets back to some of the stuff I saw using just stupid loud volume with the Prairie Blaster. Sometimes, I think sheer volume, loudness, is enough to short circuit their little brains and trigger them.

I don't get too convinced I'm right about any of this stuff anymore though. I might be wrong again this time too. Luckily, I no longer think it really matters what I know. The coyotes still come in about like they always have or even better, I no longer feel like it's important that I believe I have any understanding of why.

- DAA
Old 01-07-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
Now! That's interesting Navy. I wouldn't have thought that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It was very interesting.....you knew who the hunters were in the group because all the females couldn't handle it and went inside horrified...all the hunters were amazed and totally into it...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
I have heard many real live jackrabbits scream. I've recorded a lot of them for Foxpro. They're loud, but not nearly as loud as a Foxpro. Had one screaming a couple days ago, I couldn't hear it at all, because my hearing is so bad, but my partner Tim said he could hear it clearly from 100 yards away.

I have that issue with the caller too, I have to "go by the numbers" because sometimes I can't hear the caller at all and other times I can't tell how loud it really is. Sometimes, I crank it up to 40 for a few seconds just to make sure it's on.

My thoughts tend to go against the grains of common wisdom on this though. I can't prove it, I'm not even that sure I'm right, but I think most of the time, more volume, louder, is better. Even on close coyotes. When the Prairie Blaster came out, I spent a whole season just experimenting with using much higher volume than I had in the past. About 50 or 60 dead coyotes later, I had changed my mind about most of the things I had thought I kind of knew, about coyotes coming to a call and how loud it should be.

My usual MO for the last quite a few years, has been start "pretty loud" and ramp up to as loud as I intend to go within the first two minutes or less. The one thing I saw, using extra high volume with the Prairie Blaster, was coyotes that showed up real late. Saw some coming full speed, from a mile out, 12 minutes into the stand. I'm typically not going to be there anymore in 15 minutes or even less. So I go as loud as I'm gonna, almost right off the bat, as I don't want to wait until 5 or 6 minutes before I'll be leaving to crank it up and get one started from a longs ways out.

Except... Just this season, on Bob's advice, I have been trying his method of blasting pup distress at full volume for a few minutes to end the stand. It has broke a few loose, or triggered previously un-committed animals into committing. Which, I think gets back to some of the stuff I saw using just stupid loud volume with the Prairie Blaster. Sometimes, I think sheer volume, loudness, is enough to short circuit their little brains and trigger them.

I don't get too convinced I'm right about any of this stuff anymore though. I might be wrong again this time too. Luckily, I no longer think it really matters what I know. The coyotes still come in about like they always have or even better, I no longer feel like it's important that I believe I have any understanding of why.

- DAA
Dead on DAA.......I don't think it matters so much what we do or know regarding sounds/volume/whatever.....it's probably just all about the individual critters and if they want to come or not.....hell there are probably some that pass it up as too loud/quiet/whatever and the next critter thinks its just perfect and dives in...