www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Default foxpro volume ???

Hello everyone, Long time crow hunter in Oklahoma but still learning the coyotes. I have a foxpro CS24C and my question is, what volume setting / settings would you use for close wooded area's with the farthest shot being 100 yards ? also, what would you use in those large open area's where the fields are one mile square ? please be specific in using the 1 to 40 volume numbers on the remote. Thank's in advance. Paul

Last edited by camo; 01-04-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:33 PM

Donít limit yourself or try an make it a science. Start low and continually go up. I typically start on 12 with my fusion and am still surprised when a fox comes charging out of no where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM

I should have added that my hearing is poor & i notice cows & horses looking at it from 100 yards away & i can barely hear it 30 feet from me . thank's for the reply.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM

camo, that's a tough question and then you are asking for specific numbers as well.

There are so many variables that impact the equation. Some of my favorite sounds on my Fusion and Shockwave are not FP sounds, they are MP3 or Wave and their volume at 10 is equal to others at 20-22, this is especially true with bird sounds. Humidity and wind will effect the volume required as well. Mike Dillon did a tip & tactics thing one time a few years back about his FoxPro products volume. He noted that many callers use the volume levels in reverse to what they should be used according to habitat. In open cover, fields and such as you mentioned. Sound carries easily, nothing to inhibit it. So not much volume is required to reach way out there. In the thicker heavy vegetation or woods with hills and hollers, sounds do not carry as far so volume may need to be increased.

I suggest you follow Murph's idea and start out low for a few mintues and then crank it on up there. Species are particular about sound too, Gray Foxes like it loud as hell, where as Reds are volume shy if it is to loud, they like it low volume, high pitched and fast cadence. But since coyotes was your question start out low and find a happy medium that works according to your habitat, weather conditions. Just a thought. Again, tough question to answer. I'm no expert either.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
Hello everyone, Long time crow hunter in Oklahoma but still learning the coyotes. I have a foxpro CS24C and my question is, what volume setting / settings would you use for close wooded area's with the farthest shot being 100 yards ? also, what would you use in those large open area's where the fields are one mile square ? please be specific in using the 1 to 40 volume numbers on the remote. Thank's in advance. Paul
Hi Camo,
For my 2 cents worth. I agree to start low, maybe 15. Honestly I can't hear my caller below a 20 when I set it 30 yards out from me. I have the fusion and it's loud as heck when in my living room but again, in the field with the wind and rustling leaves, distant traffic it's a whole different story. In the woods I'd bet you'll hear it better than when out in the open. BUT the wind and cover/land features are the biggest thing that affect us and the critters hearing the call.

I can tell you of a Red Fox last week that hear a bulb squeaker, nothing but a tiny bulb speaker, used from inside my vest pocket, from 150 yards away.
If you're worried that it's loud enough because of your hearing issue that's a tough one. As long as your caller is working I'd set a volume in your house, or workshop and remember those numbers. Then have faith in the field it's loud enough. Mix it up, 20 for 2 minutes then 30 for a couple and even full blast for a few. Finish the stand with low volume perhaps around 15-20. If they are there they will come. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:37 PM

Not all of the Foxpro sounds play at the same volume. So one sound at volume 30 maybe louder than other sounds on volume 40.

Playing a rodent, bird or cottontail distress sound in the 15 to 20 range for the first 3 to 4 minutes of your stands maybe a good way to go.

Volume 20 though 30 should work most of the time. I hunt in some big open country most of the time so I will end up playing a loud sound on volume 40 for 30 seconds to a minute later in my calling stands.

So if nothing shows up in the first 7 to 10 minutes I crank up the volume for a little while and then back the volume back down. Many times I have had coyotes show up 2 to 4 minutes after playing a sound on full volume 40 for a short period of time.

I always play the coyote vocals on full volume 40. Playing "Coyote Pup Distress 3" on full volume for about 4 minutes at the end of my stands has paid off many times.

For many years I used a cassette player that was very loud, I had no remote to control the volume so my sounds played on full volume all the time. We killed lots of coyotes with just one sound playing on full volume for 100% of the time.

Last edited by derbyacresbob; 01-04-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 PM

Sounds like 15 on the volume may be a good starting point. Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:19 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Your approach to using the wind is an important factor. When it is extremely cold, and you are calling, quartering with the wind, I have had coyotes come on the dead run from as far as I could see them with the volume so low I couldn't hear it 50 yards from me. I believe that most coyotes respond to a critter who sounds like it is dying. Others think wide open is the only way to go. Lots of ways for lots of folks. Nothing works all of the time.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:28 PM

MY rule of thumb is if it echos its to loud. Istay in the high teens and low 20's on my fusion and since useing this sound level have had alot more success in calling in foxes and yotes.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:36 PM

Wow reading this with volume levels of 30 and 40 make me wonder if my firestorm with a max level of 20 should be updated with something newer
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails
Browning A Bolt 30-06 tack driver
Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings