www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Default No trophies

I have the spit fire and have setup up about 5 times in different areas in different spots on friends land ranging from pine thickets to wide open grass fields to a 10 acre snow cover filed in the middle of a over grown pecan orchard and ever time i have left empty handed. i am new to actually sitting and calling yotes i usually ride around and catch them. Now i know there are a good number of yotes in the areas i am hunting but now come to show when i hunt and i have no clue why?????
When i hunt i camo up and use scent spray set my call at a distance and put up a rabbit decoy go down wind and lay down to start the hunt usually with (lighting jack) sound varying the sound from about 3 to 5 every now and then and still no hope. Please give me your advice and tips on what you think i should do different? I thought maybe buy an external speaker to extend the range????????
Old 03-12-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDelta View Post
I have the spit fire and have setup up about 5 times in different areas in different spots on friends land ranging from pine thickets to wide open grass fields to a 10 acre snow cover filed in the middle of a over grown pecan orchard and ever time i have left empty handed. i am new to actually sitting and calling yotes i usually ride around and catch them. Now i know there are a good number of yotes in the areas i am hunting but now come to show when i hunt and i have no clue why?????
When i hunt i camo up and use scent spray set my call at a distance and put up a rabbit decoy go down wind and lay down to start the hunt usually with (lighting jack) sound varying the sound from about 3 to 5 every now and then and still no hope. Please give me your advice and tips on what you think i should do different? I thought maybe buy an external speaker to extend the range????????
You might not be seeing them. If your caller is a distance upwind from you, sit up where you can see farther. The animals attention will be on the source of the sound and there eyes should be rivited on the decoy. Even still, don't move any faster than the second hand on a watch moves. If they are looking on your direction don't move at all. I suspect you are calling the coyotes, but not seeing them.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
You might not be seeing them. If your caller is a distance upwind from you, sit up where you can see farther. The animals attention will be on the source of the sound and there eyes should be rivited on the decoy. Even still, don't move any faster than the second hand on a watch moves. If they are looking on your direction don't move at all. I suspect you are calling the coyotes, but not seeing them.
X2. Also make sure you are approaching quietly and out of sight. I try and make all my stands at least about half a mile from where I park my truck. I doubt that the coyotes are not hearing you. I use mouth calls, so I always make sure that I can see very well to my downwind. Like weasel said they are probably getting around you and getting your wind or seeing you.

Also you said you have made 5 stands and not called anything. If you have made 5 sets in the same immediate area that could be part of it. Also, 5 stands isn't that much to expect results. When I first started I hunted for two winters without seeing hide or hair of a coyote.

Make sure you are waiting long enough too. I used to bail after 15 minutes, now I hunt a stand at least 30 minutes minimum. My longest set this winter was 53 minutes from first sound to the shot. Be patient.

Expand your area too if you can. The more country you have to call the better. If you pull into a spot and the coyotes there killed a deer the night before and aren't hungry.

Keep at it and they will come.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 PM

I dont know what kind of country you are hunting, but if it is not wide open, I would say volume 5 on the spitfire is too loud for distress calls. It just does not sound natural when the sound is echoing up and down the hollow. And I think it may confuse them as to what direction the sound is coming from. I have actually scared off a coyote from too loud of volume. And I have seen them come in from a long ways with the volume on 3. Actually had one staring me down at 200 plus yards with the caller off. I turned it on volume 2, which I can barely hear, and she came running in closer. They hear extremely well.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:49 PM

Not sure about yotes however "Love is in the air" for Reds. Might try some yote vocals.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 AM

Aliright guys thanks for the tips i think i am probably coming in the area to loud and obvious and i also usually start on sound lvl 5 so like you said i could very well be scaring them away. Will definitely be more stealthily in approaches and start lower volume and stay longer. After all it would be not fun and addicting if there was no challenge to it.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM

Default No trophys

Make sure there is no way they can see your vehicle at all. They almost never come anywhere close when that's the case. I use a Spitfire, and killed a pile of coyotes this winter. Lack of volume is not the issue, I've seen them coming hard from 3/4 of a mile. Their hearing is unreal! Keep trying and it will happen for sure. Try and learn a little bit from each successful stand, and away you go. Here in Alberta we are having a brutal winter, and the coyotes are right with the deer wherever they are yarded up. Know where the deer are feeding, and the dogs are there. They're also around the ranchers, because it's calving time. Good luck, and keep at it.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:09 AM

Glad you posted this, I have gone out twice and set up about 7 or 8 stands and haven't even called one in. I use the FoxPro Skyote handcall which probably isn't the best option for someone just starting out (a hand call that is) but couldn't spend hundreds of dollars on a nice electronic call. It seems so seemless when you hear other people talking about it but glad to hear that it's not just me that isn't calling anything in when just starting out!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:58 AM

Call them where they are and to where they want to be. The other way, where they aren't and to where they don't want to go is hard if not impossible. Scout, talk to Farmers/Ranchers to find out where they are seeing them. In other words I don't think it is you but where you are. When you are in the right place it's harder to do something wrong!
Old 04-23-2011, 06:56 AM

Just keep trying, some days nothing works. Your getting closer to calling one up, 5 stands with no response...can I go with you for the 6th! The law of averages is catching up! My ranch roads will go for days sometimes and no tracks, then one morning it will look like I'm running coyotes instead of cattle.