www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Photography > Hunting Pictures

Hunting Pictures Share your hunting pictures and stories here. It never hurts to have a FOXPRO game call in the picture!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:36 PM

Wow! The coyotes are beautiful. It would be great if you could have a cameraman along on some of your hunts. You see a lot of action.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:56 PM

Would like one that I could mount on my scope. I like to keep moving when I am hunting and I usually hunt by myself nowadays. I also try an travel light to leave energy for dragging. Any time I have had a camera man with me the hunting seems to suck.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:40 PM

Was standing at the sink this morning filling the kettle for tea and I thought I saw a coyote heading toward the coyote carcasses I put out the other day. Luckily I out the truck in the shop so I ran out in my pajamas and jumped in the truck. Coyote was making for the hills when I leaned over the hood and rolled him at 300 on a dead run. Not a bad way to start the morning. Go back to the house and get everything ready to go. Go back out to get him and gone. Walked out and no blood or anything. I had watched him for a minute or so and it never twitched. Not sure what the deal was. Walking into my first set I half spook a coyote that is just waling through. Get close to my spot and see 2 deer and a coyote 500 yards out. Get kind of into my spot and give a bird distress. Minute later he comes over the hill on a mission. Problem with where I had to spot it put a ridge in front of that was too close. He stopped about 125 yards out and flat out pulled the shot. Didn't bother blazing as it left. Get settled where I wanted to be and started with jack rabbit. A couple minutes in I look behind me and there is a coyote staring at me about 15 feet away. Needless to say we are both surprised. Nail it with a Texas heart shot at about 100 yards. This might have been the initial coyote that I had missed already. Let loose a kiyiyi and a minute later see one way out on the way in. It gets kind of distracted by the two deer and and I kiyiyi again. In my peripheral I catch movement and see another one coming pretty hard from off to my side. It circles up wind headed for my downwind. Drop it at about 125, 50 yards from the other one. I kiyiyi again but the other one doesn't show. As I was leaving I see him walk onto a hill a half mile out and lay down. I gather the coyotes and 3 whitetail sheds I found and get back to the truck. My next spot was two miles away and when I get there I can see two coyotes already sleeping in the open. If the snow stops before dark I will be out there this afternoon.

51 coyotes
2 foxes
Old 02-27-2011, 01:13 PM

Been hoping this mangy coyote would come to the bait pile. I have been seeing him near the house for the last week or more and really wanted him gone. It is relatively mange free close to me and I would like to try and keep it that way. I set out the bait mainly to get him. Was at the sink again this morning and saw a coyote go down into the bait. Grab the gun and walk down the driveway. I think the magpies gave me away as he started walking out as I was getting close. Dropped the bipods, sat down, barked at him and that was it. I wasn't walking all the way out there so I just took a picture as I was driving by heading out. The first picture is about 20 yards from where I shot from zoomed out. The next is of the coyote to the left of the bush.

I had planned on calling this coulee as my last spot of the morning, but when I was driving by I saw 2 coyotes in a little finger off the main coulee. Get almost all the way in and I see 2 hauling tail over a hill 600 yards out. Figured they couldn't see me so kept walking in. Get set down and see a third doing his best to find a mouse under the snow. Glass to where I saw the other 2 head and see that they were trying to find a little privacy. The mouser looked kinda rubbed so I went to a howl to try and get the love birds. The two of them fire right up, joined my the third. I loose a challenge and here comes the big boy, followed by the other two. I usually prefer to howl with substantial cover behind me so they have to look around. Unfortunately I was on a bare hill. They crested the last hill at 400 yards and started looking around. I gave a couple light bird distresses and the female was coming hard, followed by the big male. It came down to it I could stop the female in the right spot I would have a 250 at the male and 100 yarder on the departing female. I barked and whistled but the female kept charging, and of course the male stopped. Killed the female at about 10 yards and kiyiyied. I got the male stopped at around 300, right in the middle of a willow clump. I saw the other one at about 200, but wanted the big male. I ended up with an offhand shot at pushing 400 and put it right over his shoulder. Made one more set and had a couple howl back at me, but the sun was warm by then and nothing came in.

53 coyotes
2 foxes

Last edited by Canadiancoyote; 02-28-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:54 PM

Was getting ready to head out this afternoon when I get a phone call from the neighbor that has a dead cow behind his barn. Tells me there is a black coyote eating on the bones. Stop in an shoot it. Not a black coyote but mangy or rubbed. I was in a hurry to get going, figured I would run home and grab the camera and take a picture after I was done hunting. Get to my chosen spot and pull into the road allowance. Was about 20 feet from the truck and hear a crunch. Look back and see the front end of my truck broke through a drift. Not good. Keep going, worry about truck later. Get to my spot and go through the motions. Getting ready to leave and finally see two coyotes. They have love on their mind and have no interest in me. They are also a mile out. Turns out there is 4 of them. They mess around for a bit and then all lay down. They are in a spot that I can cut the distance and maybe get their attention. Have about 10 minutes of light left when I get there. I let a lone female howl out and they all run away. I kiyiyi and they stop looking my direction but nothing else. I glance to my downwind and there is a coyote at 50 yards giving me the stare down. I am hidden from the four behind a hedge, but wide open to this one. It is just confused I think. End up offhanding it at about 150, not that easy with a 13 pound gun. Got back to the truck and it was seriously stuck. Tried shoveling it out but the drifts were like iron. Thank goodness my girlfriend is feeling better and came to extract me with the other truck

Picture is of both good ones today, the one on the left is the one above.

55 coyotes
2 foxes

Last edited by Canadiancoyote; 02-28-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM

I guess you got the truck out? Either that or your legs are much better than mine.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:54 PM

It popped right out with the other truck. Was just hung up and it was easier than trying to chip the snow out from underneath.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 PM

Was at the rink with the munchkin this afternoon and ran into another Dad there that said he had a pair of coyotes hanging around his cattle. Told him I would swing by on the way home. While there talked to two other guys that are having issues. Went by one of those guy's place and say a grandaddy coyote and his girlfriend. If the wind cooperates I will be on him tomorrow I hope. So I head to the guys place that initially told me about the pair. As I am pulling in the yard I can see one laying out from a bale stack. It is only about 200 yards so I climb up the bales and peak over. Both coyotes are there and sounds asleep. I get the gun situated and whistle. They both stand up and it is very obvious which one to shoot. Dump the big dog, rack the bolt and that female was gone, she ran like a fox! Look back and this old guy is leaving too. In the picture you can see the shot in the shoulder. The bullet went in there and came out at about the elbow on the other side. He was doing a good job of getting out of there too. To make matters worse I had one bullet left. My new order of supplies was sitting on the seat of the truck, but I had one left. Hit him in the plumbing at about 250 and that was all she wrote. A real old timer. Tipped the scale just a whisker under 40 pounds and is just gorgeous. Was planning on skinning him to tan, but got a call from one of my bird clients and by coincidence he mentioned wanting a coyote for a full body mount. Ask ye shall receive. The picture doesn't do him justice, he will make for a great mount.

56 coyotes
2 foxes
Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 PM

Saw fresh tracks going into my first set this morning. Had 4 coyotes in sight after my first series. 2 broke out and started to head in. The circled waaay around to my downwind and didn't offer a shot. Saw the nicest one of the 4 plop down for a snooze. Went into kiyiyis hoping to shake him loose. He stood, but that was it. Female whimpers got his attention, but a little male came over the ridge. He was taking the path of the previous 2, but I gave a little whimper that brought him to a more reasonable range. Misjudged the distance on the first shot, but he stopped and I dropped him with the second. Smallest male I have ever shot I think. He is in the middle.

Made another set with no takers and it started to snow so hard I called it. About noon I get a call from a guy down the road saying he killed a coyote and I could have it. Was on munchkin duty and couldn't get down until about 5. Was on the way to town with the little one for her skating carnival and stopped in to pick up the coyote. Well there was very little fur left on him to skin, but while standing there 3 coyotes walk into his corrals. Like American Express, I never leave home without my gun. Killed 2 and sent the third to the coyote hospital. I am having a heck of a time turning triples this year.

When we got to skating, Sierra couldn't wait to tell mommy we killed coyotes on the way there. You ever get that look...

59 coyotes
2 foxes
Old 03-04-2011, 11:33 PM

"When we got to skating, Sierra couldn't wait to tell mommy we killed coyotes on the way there."

LOL! Little squealers need to be bribed and even that doesn't always work.