www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:52 PM

That group was 10.7 gr of A1680. I plan on messing with it a little more tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 PM

Great group---nice shooting----------sb
Old 12-27-2013, 11:03 PM

Default 17 hornet

Brimmey where are you at with the max on that powder, I have loaded 9.7 and 10 being max with lil gun out of a 25 savage but did not get the results you have. I have a new ruger coming next week hope it will shoot better than the savage.

Last edited by 65 pontiac GTO; 12-27-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:07 AM

I had a savage model 25 WV and it shot well with the 20 gr bullets but I never found a load with the 25's that would shoot well. The ruger surprised me that it shot well with the 25 gr since the savage didn't. I didn't have any luck with the lil gun or H4198 powder in my savage so I tracked down some A1680. From my testing and from what I have read it seems to be the best powder for this round. I believe the hornady manual lists 10.9 as the max for the 25 gr HP and A1680. The 10.7 gr load I shot today didn't show any signs of being over pressure. In my past experience it seems like flattened primers were the first sign when it came to the 17 hornet being over pressure. I loaded up a few more with the same load that I'll shoot tomorrow to make sure it's the load I want. I was going to shoot them through my Chrono today but my battery was dead. I picked up a new battery today so I'll get some Velocity readings tomorrow also.

Last edited by brimmyfish; 12-28-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 PM

Well it wasn't a fluke yesterday. I fired a 6 shot group today through the chronograph. Here are the results.

This is the average Velocity for the group.

Not too bad for a little cartridge and a 25 gr HP.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 AM

Well, buddy. No question about it. You've got yourself a shooter right there. Now the PROBLEM.....If you miss I'm going to give you a hard time. You can't blame the rifle!

Seriously, I'm looking forward to some in the field reports on how that cartridge works on animals.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:27 AM

Well weasel, I can always claim that my rings just got loose and that's why I missed. LOL It does shoot really well, but I'm still planning on working on that heavy trigger. As far as a field report goes, I did shoot a coyote last season when I still had my Savage M25 17 hornet. I believe I hit him in the shoulder and he just spun around a few times and headed for a huge thicket just a few yards away. I never recovered him, but I will say that it probably had more to do with my poor shot placement instead of the cartridge. That was when I started trying to load the 25 gr. HP for my hornet. I did manage to take a red fox with it and it wasn't pretty, but I believe it was my shot placement that messed him up. He was facing me and I hit him low in the center of his chest, and it pretty much gutted him. I haven't shot anything with the 25 grainers yet but hopefully I will soon.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Default Nice!

Really nice rifle! I have a Ruger that I rebarreled to 17 Ackley Hornet years ago before the 17 Hornet was available. Glad the industry realized the potential of this cartridge. It is a superb fox round.
I put a Timney trigger sear kit in mine and took my trigger down to 2lbs. I would look at one of those. Hard to improve on what you have there though.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Thanks jdunham!! I may just have to check out a timney.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Default 17 hornet

Have a savage 25 with laminate stock i'am playing with now.I have always been a ruger fan so it is now on order i might have it by next week or the first of next. I have some issues with the savage that i'am sure the ruger will cure.