www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:28 PM

I can get four in the magazine.i haven't shot anything yet.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:58 PM

hey fxd, do you have trouble feeding a round into yours
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Sometimes I do.if I close the bolt slow sometimes it wont go in I have to kinda wiggle it. If I work it fast it goes right in. I am useing factory rounds.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 AM

im useing factory ammo as well, wont reload till today but still gonna shoot up factory before going straight hand loads. I tried working it fast and it seemed to be better but still caught a couple.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM

brimmyfish, tried out new die today and found similar problem. Put the bullet at same depth as factory so I could get them into the clip and 2 of 5 I could push bullet in with ease. Gonna do some experimenting tomorrow along with shooting. We got some snow today and I didn't want to shoot, suppose to be in the upper 30s then. To me, it seems like I have to seat the bullet to deep. ? Maybe I'll have to modify the clip but then it might be harder to feed them if the oal is to long ? Didn't think it would be to much of a hassle reloading these little buggers.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:44 AM

Just curious SouthernTier, what measurement do you get on the outside of the case neck at the tip of the case after resizing? Also if your having trouble with bullet tension you may want to try removing the decapper/expander ball from the die. If you try that will you also measure your neck size after resizing that way? On most dies if you remove the expander ball it makes the bullet tension almost too tight, but even with mine removed I can push a bullet into my case using only hands with little effort.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 AM

just got up at 4, having coffee and stoking coal stove. 3 degrees here and -6 with wind chill ! Was gonna go out this morning but I think the couch looks better. I will get that info to ya in a bit. Never removed the expander ball before but I'll try it. Also, haven't looked yet but do they make a powder funnel for the 17 cal. ?

Last edited by southerntier fox hunter; 02-10-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 AM

ok, measurement after re-sizing is 0.192. I think that I'm having to seat the bullet in to far to get it to work with the magazine ( clip ) Savage didn't leave no leeway for play. I always seat my bullets further out than factory, usually this gives me better accuracy. I only ran 5 through and noticed when I was seating the bullet I was getting a little brass fileing after seating, hope you understand. I move shell/bullet up into die to seat the bullet and when final product comes out I am getting a half ring of brass and it almost sounds like there's dirt in there when I cycle the shell/bullet up through. Don't know, spend today playing with it. Hopefully I can come up with a solution.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 AM

alright, factory ammo OAL is 1.710 and inside the clip I can get 1.720, maybe more so I'm gonna try seating them further out and see if I have trouble feeding them. Let ya know.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:22 AM

seated bullets out to 1.745 and had no trouble getting them into clip and other than the normal problem of feeding I see nothing else wrong, bullets seem to be holding well. Now, I'll set up the chrony and check velocities on both factory and hand loads.