www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:46 PM

Again, has this actually ever happened to you? A new factory case, first time loaded and the case is too long to chamber? Or, for that matter, have you ever actually had a case a few thousandths over published trim to that was too long to fit easily in a factory chamber? This has happened to you.....................{ heavier sigh } YES YES and YES, but what the hell do i know , i only been reloading for about 40 years , everything from .222 to .458 mag . had a fellow come to my house with some factory new brass reloads { just 2 weeks ago. same problem , he couldn't close the bolt , we pulled the bullets , trimmed the brass to proper length and they all slid in just like snot down a shower drain !
Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

So he had a factory chamber, less than "a couple thousandths" longer than the published case trim length? Anything is possible. Factory chambers can be all kinds of screwed up. But you have to admit, having one leave the factory with such a glaring safety defect, that would have to be a very unusual occurence?

But, I'm just going to cry Uncle on this one and bow out...

- DAA
Old 11-13-2010, 07:12 PM

well alot of this crap is made overseas , ya don't know what your gonna end up with .
Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 AM

If you read the original post the primers were being marked with a bullseye which had to be caused by the primer extruding into the firing pin hole. This could never be caused by anything other than the primer sticking out beyond the case head. I've loaded many thousands of factory new brass starting with Herters brass, probably not of the same quality as new brass today, from the 1960's and have have never seen a case where not trimming caused a problem. For auto-loaders I use a Wilson case gauge which I consider the ultimate measure of cartridge dimensions and very important to prevent slam-fires.
Recently I experimented with 220 Swift, 270 win, and 243 to see if I could get better accuracy by trimming vs untrimmed new factory (all Winchester brass). I'm sure if you are shooting like David Tubbs this would be important but I could not tell any difference. I can somewhat frequently shoot three shot groups out of my 1955 Model 70 270 fwt with the three bullets touching.
In any case this problem was caused by improper primer seating for whatever reason and hopefully will give new reloaders some insight as to the seriousness of this.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 AM

I fully understand the problems related to improper seated primers ,However i've seen , on more then one occasion , with new brass , primers seated properly , ocl in acceptable range , trouble closing the bolt , After trimming a couple thousandths off the brass , they work fine. Its a mystery , wrapped in a riddle , surrounded by an inigma !