www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:32 PM

the brass was brand new winchester

and all of the primers are not seated, don't even have to set them or run anything over them.

so i guess for now its back to the .243 for deer and factory ammo for the 7mm for bear season

thanks for the help everyone, glad I asked before things went wrong
Old 11-13-2010, 12:54 PM

Being brand new brass it wasn't crud in the primer pocket. Reloading requires concentration. The only time I let somebody watch is if they sit down and shut up or I'm showing them how to do it. Even at that, I can't think of one excuse for not seating primers properly. I really have to question your friends experience.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:34 PM

some of your problem might be due to the cases not being trimmed properly. even new cases need to be trimmed .
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Trimming case length has no relationship to primer seating. Separate operations with zero effect on each other. And it's actually quite rare that a new case would really "need" to be trimmed. Not a bad idea to trim new cases, to make them all the same length, give the case mouths a nice chamfer while you are at it, but I don't think I've ever seen a new piece of brass that was too long right out of the box.

Regardless though, no, trimming would not have anything to do with the lousy job that was done seating the primers. That was just poorly done work.

- DAA
Old 11-13-2010, 03:23 PM

I run every case-new or old - through a primer pocket trimmer. Case length is not the only trimming that needs to be done. Trimmer cuts to size and cleans the primer pocket.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:37 PM

you can take new brass , reload it , and if the case length is to long , you're gonna have trouble closing the bolt . whether the primer is seated corectly or not ..you'd be surprised how many new brass are a couple thousands to long .
Old 11-13-2010, 05:09 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I'll admit, my experience is very limited, but it's never happened to me.

Realize, factory chambers are always a good bit longer than the published case trim to length. All that I have ever measured, have been at least .015 longer than the published trim to, most of them more like .020 over and more than just a couple even longer than that.

So a new case would have to be a lot more than just a couple of thousandths over published trim length to not chamber properly.

New factory brass. Loaded the first time. And the case is to long to fit in a factory chamber. This has happened to you? Anything is possible, including this, but it would have to be an exceedingly rare occurence in my (very limited) experience.

But, we should be ignoring this anyway, because it still has absolutely nothing to do with primers standing proud of the case head. Which is the issue the OP is dealing with.

- DAA
Old 11-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Frustrating, isn't it Dave?
Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 PM

in my first post i said " SOME of the problem might be due to case length " if his buddy didn't pay attention seating the primers , he probably didn't take the time to measure the cases. and a couple thousandths Will cause this .
Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Frustrating, isn't it Dave?
Naw... Not really. Heck, I like bacon too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
...he probably didn't take the time to measure the cases. and a couple thousandths Will cause this .
<Heavy Sigh...>

No, a couple of thousandths over published trim length will not cause this. Re-read what I wrote above about factory chamber length. That's not my opinion, it's straightforward factual information. Have you ever measured a factory chamber for actual length? I have, many dozens of them.

Again, has this actually ever happened to you? A new factory case, first time loaded and the case is too long to chamber? Or, for that matter, have you ever actually had a case a few thousandths over published trim to that was too long to fit easily in a factory chamber? This has happened to you?

I agree completely that whoever loaded this ammo likely didn't know enough to check anything properly though. Making sure primers aren't proud of the case head is covered in detail, in the beginners section of every reloading manual I have ever read. As a safety concern, it is super basic, super simple, fundamental ammo assembly procedure. It's one of those things that should never be overlooked. I still remember being taught the first time I sat down to reload, to feel every primer with my finger right after seating it to make sure it was seated below the case head. Anyone who could have muffed that up, could muff up anything.

And, I apologize if I'm coming off as an a-hole here. But, I feel it's important to try and keep the information presented here as accurate as possible, to prevent new handloaders from being led astray.

-DAA