www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:10 PM

Default Reloading Problem

had a buddy do some handloads for my 7mm Mag

he got it all dialed in with some nice loads for bear season but now i have a problem:

got the gun out the other day to go out deer hunting saturday evening and noticed that it was hard to close the bolt, some shells went easier than others, and after a shell was in it would go back in easier.

the primer seems to stick up a bit higher than the brass around it, after the bolt is closed on a shell there is a small circle on the primer, the shell looks like a target: brass primer, circle on the primer then the center

is it safe to fire these shells?

what is causing the circle? when i pulled the bolt out it looks 100% normal, is there a high spot on the primer that is getting pushed into a flat/normal shape when the front of the shell is pushed up into the barrel/breach
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 PM

The primers aren't seated all the way into the primer pocket. Sorta safe to shoot, but you might have a misfire or hangfire with them.
Better to reload you own.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:14 PM

Personally, no way would I fire these rounds. From your description the primer is not completely seated. When the bolt is forced to close the primer still can't be seated and extrudes into the firing pin hole. This is most likely because the primer pocket was not properly cleaned and therefore the remaining debris prevents the primer from completely seating. In an auto-loader this is extremely dangerous and can result in a slam fire. In a bolt action it is unlikely to fire on closing but the primer is being damaged, is not properly seated, an could result in a blown primer. With a 7mm Mag, or for that matter any cartridge, that's something you want to avoid at any cost.

I always feel each primer as it's seated to ensure that it's not high. You should be able to place a metal ruler across the head of the cartridge and the ruler should not touch the primer. Certainly it should not rock across the primer. It should be level with the head of the cartridge.

Great attention to these small details are very important and very well may save your life door that of someone close by.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:00 AM

so what do i do with 50rounds of loaded but questionable ammo?

no point in keeping it and trying to fire questionable rounds, if it missfires its worthless and if something worse happens its worthless so i'll drop the money down the drain on the side of caution

I know its better to reload your own but living in an apartment I don't really have any good place to set up a reloading station & my buddy already has all the equipment and he's reloaded thousands of rounds in the past, so I understand that stuff happens

now I know to check every couple of rounds though while he's loading them up for me

thanks for the help
Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Just some more two-cents which might be helpful...
As far as apartment reloading, there is a way. I have a full reloading bench with lots of equipment including a Dillon 650. However, most of my reloading is done at my computer desk. See photo. I bought a small hardwood board, drilled and counter-sunk holes to mount the H press. I then use small c-clamps to mount this on my desk. Almost any kind of press can be mounted like this and when not in use I remove the press from the desk and from the board for storage.
Other equipment like the powder measure and primer press are also mounted with clamps. I keep my reloading stuff, bullets, dies, cases, etc. in dry-storage boxes along with a silicon pack to keep things from rusting. I have one of these for each caliber I reload and they too store away easily. I have reloaded since I was 15, more than 50 years, and I prefer this setup to my big bench unless I'm loading lots of rounds, which is typically for my 45ACP or 308 which I do on the Dillon. I also shoot a lot of 44 Mag and load those on the H-Press.
By the way, you can find nice presses, mostly C-Type, on ebay at very reasonable prices. I bought one for my son, and set it up using my clamp board setup for less than $20. For bottle-necked rifle cartridges I use neck sizing dies which makes the stress on this desktop mounted press minimal. Full length sizing requires a lot more pressure and may be too much stress for a small desk. I shoot so that I can reload!

As for your 50 loaded rounds, I'd try this. Inspect a factory round for reference, then go through the 50 and see if any have the primer mostly seated. Use a small ruler across the primer and base of cartridge, held up to the light so you can see how high they are. Perhaps a lot of them are okay and only a few too high.
For those too high, an approach I've used in the past, which will probably make others cringe, is to re-seat the primer. I have the old RCBS primer press shown in the attachments which is perfect for this. I'm sure it's highly NOT recommended to seat a primer on a loaded round but a primer ignites by impact, not by pressure. If it is slowly pressed, and there is not to much debris under them, they should seat okay. This is the same action as cranking the bolt closed except it has the full support to push the primer, not the gun bolt with the firing pin hole.
A more accepted and proper approach would be to pull the bullets, dump the powder and then re-seat or re-prime. The cases would then need neck-sized and the bullets reseated. That's not as bad as it sounds, and if most are bad that's the approach I'd use.
Good luck with all this. Your safety is the most important thing and it's very good that you're asking questions. You want everything, especially your ammo, to work correctly on your hunting trip.
Good Luck on the hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desktop-reloading1-wb.jpg (97.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg desktop-primer-seat-wb.jpg (63.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 12:00 PM

At one point I lived in a very small one bedroom apt. I still managed to do my own reloading. I've only let one person, ONE TIME load ammo for me. One 357 Mag case had a double charge. Another one didn't have any powder at all. Fortunately I fired the round with no powder first. Lodged the bullet in the barrel!
If you want it done right it is best to do it yourself.

How many times had the brass been loaded prior to this time?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:58 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Just borrow your buddies primer seating tool and finish seating the primers.

Being that sloppy with the primer seating though, I'd not have much confidence in the quality (or safety) of his handloads... That really does just reek of amateur hour.

- DAA
Old 11-09-2010, 02:05 PM

thanks for the tips/advice

i don't really hold him at fault becuase I was distracting him at the time of loading and we were trying to get them loaded up fairly quickly so I could get back to my place & he could get back to his.

So just one of those things that we wern't paying as close of attention because I was asking questions about some things while he was doing a different step, or he would be instructing me on how to do one thing while he was doing another.

so just too much at once, but since all the shells are higher i'll just take them back and we'll redo them next time i'm there
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Was this the first time to reload the brass?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 AM

Set them on a table primer down.If they sit flat use them,if the dont pull the bullets dump the charge and reseat the primers.