www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
40gr vmax Hornady factory load had worse damage with the 32gr vmax. I have heard promising things about the 35gr berger. May need to go that route.
A friend I know has used the 32gr. Nosler bullet with a lot of success according to him. I would be tempted to try that route with a 20 cal.
The 35gr. Bergers I recovered started coming apart about 1.5 to 2" in the chest area of Coyotes. Full penetration was no more than 4". This was a sample of only 4 Coyotes.
The Bobcat I shot using a 37gr. hp never had an exit. The Cat was sitting and hit in the chest. the distance on the Bobcat was 225 plus yards. What I found interesting about the shot on the Cat was the wind drift.......NOT! I had about a 10 mph cross wind ( left to right) so I allowed for about a 2" drift. The shot hit the Cat exactly where the crosshairs were, no drift at all. Hit the Cat just inside of the left leg/shoulder. Another one of those "not enough info" to go on. Only posting this to say that my experience with the 204 and 35gr. Bergers or 37gr. CRT's was great, but no Fox info.

I was sitting against the fence and the Bobcat was at the edge of the Pine trees.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:44 PM

Default Hopefully all will be well.

Box of Hornady Custom 17 Hornet 25gr HP just arrived at door.....we shall see how they cycle and perform.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:37 PM

I shot somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 Fox with the 32gr vmax. I had several shot chest on that were small holes no exit. I also had several that chest on entry blew out between the shoulder blades had one that removed the back left quarter on the way through. Broadside chest shots there isn't much out there that is not destructive.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 PM

Yup I have watched Archer shoot dozens of fox with his 204 using the 32Vmax with mixed results. Sometimes little to no damage sometimes chainsaw effect. Same with the 17 Hornets.

Time will tell if the slowed down 40's will do better.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 AM

Have you anybody tried a K ?
When I was shooting the hornet 35 grns. Were splashing on yotes so instead of K (Ing) the hornet I went with a fireball and never looked back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk