www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:49 PM

Default Spitfire vs. Wildfire

Hey guys. As the title says, I am looking at these two foxpros. I am open to other suggestions, but this is going to be my first electronic predator call. I have never even killed a yote, (sad I know) but hunt everything else I can whenever I can, and am looking into an offseason sport seeing as these are fair game year round here in Ohio. I really don't wanna dump 500 bucks on a call, so I have been looking at the lower price range on the foxpro list.

I like the idea of the Foxbang technology on the Wildfire, and the remote looks WAY easier to understand. I really am not that worried about the amount of sounds they can hold since I feel that 24 will probably be more than I use already.

Is the foxbang plus nicer remote worth the extra hundred bucks?

So, I cam looking to get a good quality call that will give me chances on yotes. I will also hunt some fox in the winter, when in season, and possibly crows in the summer too (or winter who knows). But i would imagine they are about all effective on crows.

I am open to suggestions on other calls as well!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 PM

where in ohio are you from and hunting? i am located in ohio also. I started calling last year and went 3 months without killing a predator so i dropped money on the CS-24. the first evening i used it i called in a fox, and then moved to another farm and killed a coyote in 15 min. I was very impressed because 3 months of calling seeing coyotes only at a far, to calling to in a hunt time of 30 min. coming in on a dead run. I am deer hunting now but this will be the first full season of calling ill have starting after i kill a buck. I also called crows for fun this year with some friends and the foxpro worked great. i was hesitant to buy the call but glad i did. i was like you didnt know what to get and allpredator calls suggested the cs-24 over the others so thats what i went with
Old 10-19-2011, 07:06 PM

I personally like the remote with presets on it. As far as more sounds, it's my thinking that you can never have too many. I keep note book on what sounds I've used where and try to not use the same sounds at the same place too frequently. On the Foxpro website they have some good deals on reconditioned calls that will allow you more for your money. Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 AM

I will sell you my Spitfire so I can obtain the Wildfire with Foxbang....if that answers your question. I bought my Spitfire just like you, didn't want to dump a bunch of money into a call, and it has worked marvelously! I just want the Foxbang...so I see myself upgrading soon! As for the 24 sounds...that's more than enough for me in my area. I find that when I am calling I tend to stick to the ones that work, and that is about 10 different sounds, some dogs and some distressed animals. FOXPRO is a great choice of caller, now what do u need and how much do u want to spend.

Call- FOXPRO Spitfire
Decoys- Jack in the Box(JIB), Jack Attack, & Fawn
Rifle- Remington Model R-15™ VTR™ Predator Carbine with 18" Barrel & 1/8 Twist
Bullet- Ultramx 50gr Ballistic Tip w/ 5/8"-1" Groupings @ 100yds
Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
I personally like the remote with presets on it. As far as more sounds, it's my thinking that you can never have too many. I keep note book on what sounds I've used where and try to not use the same sounds at the same place too frequently. On the Foxpro website they have some good deals on reconditioned calls that will allow you more for your money. Hope this helps.
I was literally just thinking about getting a notebook to keep track of which sounds, where and when so I can do the same. Also thought it would be nice to log kills and what I saw (if I ever actually get started hunting haha).

I will have to look into the reconditioned. As of right now I have pretty well narrowed it down to wildfire or Scorpion. I like the idea of foxbang. I am thinking the scorpion may not be as loud though so probably will go wildfire. I hope to order soon but will probably wait for another paycheck or two. I don't exactly have the greatest cash flow as I'm still a student and only work 3 days a week ha.

Thanks for your replies!

O and I am in mid/northwestern Ohio in Mercer County.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM

Hey guys, another question. I found a foxpro model "416 and 532" (according to the seller) on craigslist for a good price. The seller stated that it is 3 years old but was only used once and is in very good shape. Would this model be a good call for a starter? If so let me know quick please so I can jump on it for the price!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM

I am not familiar with the older models, but with new features like foxbang if you can afford a newer one I would recommend one
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 PM

I am leaning that way too. The remote pictured with that older one looks like a brick with buttons. I'm still leaning wildfire. except I have seen a couple scorpions go on ebay for around 260...but then i can't pick sounds. decisions decisions.

ps. anyone wanting an older one....

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/spo/2609583586.html
Old 10-20-2011, 10:00 PM

sell 33. we dont live far apart and i sent you a personal message about a couple things. I dont know if it sent but let me know if yu get it.thanks
Old 10-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Of course....I get on Cabelas to order a Wildfire, and they are on backorder. Makes me think maybe the spitfire was meant to be? lol. I'm sure it would be fine, and it would save me some money to put towards a new rifle....hmmmmm what to do.

Tags
scorpion, spitfire, wildfire