www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:09 PM

Default Favorite scent block?

Iíve used so many different brands. Iíve had luck some times and other times no luck, but is it really because of what Iím using ?Who really knows .. open to opinions on it if anyone has any they want to throw out there.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:26 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I like to envelop myself in a dense cloud of cigar smoke in the Jeep in between stands.

- DAA
Old 10-15-2018, 02:38 PM

Can’t knock it til you try it I guess ? LOL
Old 10-15-2018, 03:00 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

The way I roll, any kind of scent control effort would be a total waste. Just no point in it. I have to drive to my hunting areas. So unless I lhave my truck and my Jeep completely sanitized and de-odorized before I go, it would be useless to control my own odor.

And I have to get gas on the way. I like to eat during the day, have a cup of coffee, fart when it feels right etc. Might as well enjoy a nice cigar while I'm at it .

Way I figure it, no matter what kind of snake oil I drink or wash my clothes in, coyote gets downwind, he's gonna smell me. Period. End of story. So I just do what I can to kill him before he gets downwind and figure that is a lot better way to focus my thoughts and energy than worrying about scent blocking, which would be a complete waste of effort anyway.

Sometimes I get lucky and it all works out and I get a coyote, ha-ha!

- DAA
Old 10-15-2018, 03:08 PM

I see where you’re coming from. Yeah stop and get fuel coffee and food is a must on the way to the property no doubt. I too feel it’s next to impossible to completely control scent. I do like to try best I can but I don’t always manage to do so.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:06 PM

the way I look at it is that we have millions of molecules of scent, more if you're sweating and all a coyote needs is one of those molecules to tell him what you had for supper last night and your favorite color. paying attention to the wind is the only way to beat the coyote's beak. spend your money on a real good camo face mask, that will help most!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:15 PM

Default Thanks for being you Dave....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
The way I roll, any kind of scent control effort would be a total waste. Just no point in it. I have to drive to my hunting areas. So unless I lhave my truck and my Jeep completely sanitized and de-odorized before I go, it would be useless to control my own odor.

And I have to get gas on the way. I like to eat during the day, have a cup of coffee, fart when it feels right etc. Might as well enjoy a nice cigar while I'm at it .

Way I figure it, no matter what kind of snake oil I drink or wash my clothes in, coyote gets downwind, he's gonna smell me. Period. End of story. So I just do what I can to kill him before he gets downwind and figure that is a lot better way to focus my thoughts and energy than worrying about scent blocking, which would be a complete waste of effort anyway.

Sometimes I get lucky and it all works out and I get a coyote, ha-ha!

- DAA
THAT.....is the best thing I have read all day....it was a tough day and this made it all better. After dealing with a couple extremely arrogant and difficult people today who "think" they know their stuff and then reading this from DAA who does know his stuff and is sincerely straightforward and honest......well, it settles me down a bit.....; )

Now about that cigar.....I miss the days when that's how I relaxed after coming home from work....a nice maduro wrap with either a ice cold dark beer or a few fingers of Woodford Reserve and all was well....; )
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 PM

I have to agree with DAA best scent block is the wind.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don lynch View Post
the way I look at it is that we have millions of molecules of scent, more if you're sweating and all a coyote needs is one of those molecules to tell him what you had for supper last night and your favorite color. paying attention to the wind is the only way to beat the coyote's beak. spend your money on a real good camo face mask, that will help most!
Appreciate the advice.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox kicker View Post
I have to agree with DAA best scent block is the wind.
It does seem that way. Thanks !