www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:34 PM

Question Lots of noise but no eyes

Went out Monday night in a light snow temps in the mid 20's very light wind from the WNW. No more than getting set up to do some calling and I heard a chorus of howls and yips from about 600 away across the road from my location. Still on the same property I have permission to hunt. I let go with a female bark howl and got an answer from at least 3 different coyotes in the group. we talked for about 5 min. with me answering them as close as I could to their vocals. I kept slipping in Female submissive howls and whimpers hoping a male in the group was feeling romantic. at the 10 min mark they just shutdown and never heard another peep out of them. First of all this is the way my luck goes, if I had set up at my normal spot I would have been about 200 yds from them. My question is I am wondering if I would have gone to pup distress 3 during this exchange if I could have got them to get in gun range?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 PM

That very same thing has happened to me more than a few times. If it would make you feel any better ...I did try pup distress 3 after some whimpers and still no luck...they just quit on me never to be heard from. I am thinking that I might know how to talk to a coyote but am finding out I just might stick to distress sounds mostly. I do think that coyotes are "opportunists" and need to eat mostly. I find myself looking back in the days when I called many in with hand call and with all this new sounds at my disposal I get to thinking I need to use them all....I'm going to try to remember to keep it simple if I can. I do know that a lot of guys have called many in with just coyote vocals...guess I need more learnin...
Old 01-18-2018, 05:12 PM

One of the most difficult things to do when you get a response is to not over call. Silence can be your best friend, and just wait on their inquisitive nature. In your particular situation it is always easy to second guess what more you could have done. Sometimes you can rile them up and trigger them to come with Female Challenge howls.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:20 PM

It's hard to predict. Sometimes they come in running for a fight other times they hang up out of sight and bark if they answer at all. We've had the best luck once we've determined where they're core area is and call inside it. If you figure it out please share it we'd all like to know the secret.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2018, 07:28 AM

Ok. So you heard coyotes. You set up and called to them. Three answered you back. You tried saying to them what they were trying to say to you and you were also slipping in female submissive and whimpers as well. Question, do you know what they were saying to you? If they were three females saying to you leave, you were saying the same thing back along with submissive and whimper calls. Doesn't make any sense does it? If they were challenging you and you were challenging them back along with submissive and whimper calls back, that would not make any sense either right? Were told by manufactures what sounds are suppose to mean. Did a coyote tell them that? Coyotes have a complex language and tones. What I'm saying is don't try to speak when your not sure what your saying. You knew they were there before they knew you were there. When you called to them, they knew another coyote came into their area. When they answered you, they knew you were there. That is certain. Keeping quiet for a bit and then hitting them with a prey distress by itself or shortly right after that hit them again with a hurt pup distress. Then sit back and wait 30 mins. This would of told them another coyote is there, but not answering us back, then that coyote just killed a fawn, now look there's two fighting over it. Now hunger, sexuality , territory and curiosity all come in play. Just my opinion.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:56 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Sounds like typical yappers that had you made and weren't gonna play. Common as dirt. And if this is a place that you've been calling a lot, which by your statement you have a "normal spot" only a few hundred yards away that you call from, it sounds like you have been. Then this is pretty much what you should expect.

It's checkers, not chess. Don't think about it too much, it doesn't help.

But you can't just keep calling to the same coyotes over and over. Once they know the game yappers is all you're gonna get.

- DAA
Old 01-19-2018, 04:41 PM

I agree with night eyes . your calling should tell a story, the story should make sense to the coyote. that's the best you can do because you never know what they are thinking for sure.