www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:00 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Yeah, coyotes killing a calf is very rare, in my area. The few ranchers I know, don't give a rip one way or the other about coyotes. Except a couple I know that won't let anyone hunt them - they like the coyotes for eating rabbits and rodents and such.

And there are no "packs" out here, either though. Get a few running together once in awhile, mated pair with usually an adult female pup, or some siblings running together in the fall, but that hardly constitutes a pack. What you do see, commonly, are family groups, in the summer and into the fall.

Not really the same thing as new coyotes coming in and killing where the old ones were not (which has been common knowledge forever), but kind of related, is taking out denning coyotes around sheep. If there is a denning pair around sheep and they aren't killing, if you kill just one, then the other might well take up killing as it's having to feed the pups all by itself now. And you have just created damage for the producer where before there was none. One of the biggest reasons they use dogs in denning season, get the pair working together against the dogs and get them both in front of the gun and get them BOTH dead. Also why the pros don't like recreational callers coming in and mucking up the works on the ranches they operate on.

The places I hunt, none of this makes any difference. I don't hunt private land, don't hunt on ranches or farms and the coyotes where I hunt get hunted so hard there are mostly just wise old educated coyotes this time of year. With constant churn and population turnover always taking place. The few old pairs that do manage to both stay alive and hold on to a territory for more than one season, have heard it all and seen it all and are very difficult to call and kill - especially this time of year when there are only two kinds of coyote left, smart ones and dead ones.

- DAA
Old 12-27-2018, 09:11 AM

I found this discussion very interesting. On two of the farms I hunt both farmers complained about losing calves to coyotes. On a few occasions I've actually seen coyotes trying to separate a young calf from the mother. I'm wondering how much an easy food source plays into this. On one of the same farms we dissected one kill to see what he was eating since they refused to respond to any prey calls, as it turned out he was eating whole grapes( not chewed). Oddly enough that field is always full of rabbits. So when there's no afterbirth it was easier to eat grapes than rabbit? Coyotes are as hard to figure out as women...lol

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk