www.gofoxpro.com


Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2018, 06:12 AM
XDGuyRajuy XDGuyRajuy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 22
Default Do you coyote hunt, where you deer hunt?

I'm new to this forum and Coyote hunting. I normally only coyotes while I'm deer hunting in Nebraska. In November, my brother In law and I shot 3 and was able to make $110 from a fur buyer. So to extend our hunting season, do our part and make a few dollars, we decided to hunt coyotes year round. So the question is, do any of you who deer and coyote hunt? If so, do you hunt both in the same area? My reason for asking is, it seems if we hunt coyotes year round and where we also hunt our deer, come deer season we might not have much luck hunting the deer. Is this correct thinking or am I thinking too much into this?

Thanks,
XDGuyRajuy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2018, 07:19 AM
Night Eyes Night Eyes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fulton County NY
Posts: 1,025
Default

Welcome. Congrats on your success. I hunt coyotes where I deer hunt. I don't try to call them in when I'm deer hunting. But I do go back at night to call. I have not seen any ill effect. In fact this past season when I went back at night. I actually saw a lone doe crossing the field where I hunt and there was 2 coyotes about 150 yds. behind her. All of them were on the same 2 track. Thanks to the sweet 17 only 1 left.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2018, 09:13 AM
XDGuyRajuy XDGuyRajuy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Eyes View Post
Welcome. Congrats on your success. I hunt coyotes where I deer hunt. I don't try to call them in when I'm deer hunting. But I do go back at night to call. I have not seen any ill effect. In fact this past season when I went back at night. I actually saw a lone doe crossing the field where I hunt and there was 2 coyotes about 150 yds. behind her. All of them were on the same 2 track. Thanks to the sweet 17 only 1 left.
Night Eyes, thanks for your response. I didn't plan on calling when I was deer hunting. I was actually talking about after deer season and wanted to hunt the coyotes in the same areas I hunted deer. I was thinking about there being constant gunshots (at least I hope ) in the areas where I hunt the deer and they leave. Then deer season rolls around and the deer are gone because I had been in the area all the time. I'm glad to know that you have had no adverse action from hunting both deer and coyotes in the same area. Do you also hunt the coyotes in the same area during the daytime, out of deer season?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:07 PM
andrewlonghi85 andrewlonghi85 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 44
Default

I hunt coyotes where I deer hunt...hunted them a few times while deer hunting this year,had a few deer come in to the caller but I think it was out of curiosity. Deer season ended on public land two weeks ago and I've started hunting coyotes on my days off from work. Still see deer while doing so.
__________________
Remington Model 783 223 with omega suppressor
Leupold Fx6
Remington 870 12ga pattern master chock tube
Wicked lights scanpro/A48 ambush Red
Fox pro shockwave


Coyote-2
Bobcat-0
No shot-3
Miss-1
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:19 PM
XDGuyRajuy XDGuyRajuy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlonghi85 View Post
I hunt coyotes where I deer hunt...hunted them a few times while deer hunting this year,had a few deer come in to the caller but I think it was out of curiosity. Deer season ended on public land two weeks ago and I've started hunting coyotes on my days off from work. Still see deer while doing so.
Thanks for your response andrewlonghi85. I am new to being a dedicated coyote caller/hunter and didn't want to ruin my deer area, hunting them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Fla_dogman's Avatar
Fla_dogman Fla_dogman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 39
Default

We hunt several leases and one game preserve, and although I don't deer hunt anymore the hunters have actually reported an increase in seeing deer. We hunt year round so the deer are use to our presence.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2018, 05:35 PM
XDGuyRajuy XDGuyRajuy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla_dogman View Post
We hunt several leases and one game preserve, and although I don't deer hunt anymore the hunters have actually reported an increase in seeing deer. We hunt year round so the deer are use to our presence.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Makes sense after seeing all the post in this and other forums I posted. The more coyotes you kill, the more the deer have a chance to increase their numbers. Thanks for your input Fla_dogman.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2018, 06:44 PM
Jingles's Avatar
Jingles Jingles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winthrop, WA.
Posts: 599
Default

I hunt both Deer and Coyotes however I do not hunt coyotes where I hunt deer mainly because my deer area is inaccessible in the winter due to the amount of snow in the mountains ( 8 to 10 feet of snow is just to deep to try to get through on snowshoes).
__________________
[/SIZE]
HMC USN RET
Firestorm w/ Foxjack decoy
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails
Browning A Bolt 30-06 tack driver
Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Night Eyes Night Eyes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fulton County NY
Posts: 1,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDGuyRajuy View Post
Night Eyes, thanks for your response. I didn't plan on calling when I was deer hunting. I was actually talking about after deer season and wanted to hunt the coyotes in the same areas I hunted deer. I was thinking about there being constant gunshots (at least I hope ) in the areas where I hunt the deer and they leave. Then deer season rolls around and the deer are gone because I had been in the area all the time. I'm glad to know that you have had no adverse action from hunting both deer and coyotes in the same area. Do you also hunt the coyotes in the same area during the daytime, out of deer season?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have always noticed within a day or two, sometimes the same night when I have killed a deer. They would come in and clean up everything. I personally know hunters that went back later to recover their deer after hitting it with an arrow to actually have coyotes eating it. I shot 3 deer last gun and the longest it took was two days before everything was gone, except the paper towel used to wipe my hands. When the hear gun fire I think they come around close enough to investigate to see if there's something for them. So I don't think people shooting during the day bothers them at night.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2018, 01:42 AM
ORcchunters's Avatar
ORcchunters ORcchunters is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 125
Default

Yes its the best place to start looking! Once u get addicted to predator calling u won't be thinking about spooking deer out of any spot, you'll be just focused on finding any spot with coyotes !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin by vBSkins.com
Customized for FOXPRO Inc.